What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to Register N Number?

mfleming

Well Known Member
Patron
I searched but did not find an answer.

I have my N number reserved.

When can I or should I register it?

You'll have to renew the registration every 3 years so most people hold off until they are about ready to fly.

The registration process is rather quick, if all paper work is in order. If there is any mistakes in the form, it could set it back. Considering registration is rather cheap, I think only $5, I would register it as you get closer to your final assembly and think you will be ready for the inspection. It is required for the inspection.

Somebody told me the right time to register is after you get bill of sale :)

For me, that was about 2 months prior to certification and flying. Contact Vans and request the BoS. If the kit was previously owned, you will need to show proof of ownership from the previous owner or owners.

Wait until your are very close to final inspection before first flight, i.e. wait until it's almost an airplane. Many states use the FAA Aircraft Registry to find new owners to whom to send out sales tax bills. And, if your state has a personal property tax on airplanes, it likely doesn't apply to just airplane parts.

Reg and taxes

I,m holding off due to the tax man/woman will send a tax bill when they find a new reg

Registration got reclassed as essential after the previous shutdown so they are working. They are running about 7-8 weeks behind which is about the same as they were before the shutdown.

So, what I’m hearing is, that if taxes are not an issue, registering early is OK.

My state wants to see a N number associated with the hangar I’m buying.

I just went through this - expect to be flying in the next 6-8 weeks, registered in late December. I was a little concerned that there might be a delay in OKC which turned out not to be warranted - I got the registration within a week or so of them receiving it.

I sent the State of Florida a nice check a few days ago, in anticipation of the letter I'll get from them...

I just went through this - expect to be flying in the next 6-8 weeks, registered in late December. I was a little concerned that there might be a delay in OKC which turned out not to be warranted - I got the registration within a week or so of them receiving it.

I sent the State of Florida a nice check a few days ago, in anticipation of the letter I'll get from them...
Good to hear you are getting close to 1st flight. Let me know when it will happen so I can be there to celebrate. I'll bring the celebratory beverages!! ;)

Last edited:
Good to hear you are getting close to 1st flight. Let me know when it will happen so I can be there to celebrate. I'll bring the celebratory beverages!! ;)

Galin - I'm going to call you soon. Hope to get some help still on a few items.

Back