What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VAF Charity Cap Sightings

Mike Macon

Well Known Member
Patron
Spruce Goose.

My lovely wife bought some VIP passes to the Evergreen Flight Museum at a silent auction and we used them while in McMinnnville, OR the day after Christmas.
This was my second trip but what a humbling experience to actually sit in Howard's seat.

SpruceGoose1.JPG

The pilot's seat of the Spruce Goose.

SpruceGoose2.JPG

An RV grin is better than a Hughes scowl.

SpruceGoose3.JPG

Spruce Goose cockpit

SpruceGoose5.JPG

Flight engineer's station

SpruceGoose4.JPG

SpruceGoose6.JPG

View of Spruce Goose cockpit from the ground. Notice the "Experimental" over the door.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanna know how you're supposed to bring all 8 throttles forward together.
I would think you don't, the FE does. Just think about synchronizing all eight engines. Somewhere I read that each engine has five magnetos, I'm still trying to understand the starting procedure on those big radials.

What is really cool is they could walk/crawl down the wing and reach the back of the engine in flight to service it.

If any of you ever get the chance to tour this thing, do it! It is just awesome! (I saw it back in the 80's when it was in LA.)

I got to see the Spruce Goose up close when it was in Long Beach a few years ago. It is an amazing aircraft. The strangest thing to me was being able to walk around in the cockpit like it was a Greyhound bus. It is a must see if you are ever close by.

I got to see the Spruce Goose up close when it was in Long Beach a few years ago.

A few years ago? When I saw it in Long Beach I was in the Navy and we used sail power. ;) (kidding) I think it was moved in 1990.

Look at the rudder peddles, if I remember right this was the first hydraulically controlled rudder to fly. No wires. Pretty amazing for the day.

Last edited:
How Much is open to walk through?

What is really cool is they could walk/crawl down the wing and reach the back of the engine in flight to service it.

Do they let you walk all around inside the Spruce Goose? Can you walk out to the engines in the wing?

Do they let you walk all around inside the Spruce Goose? Can you walk out to the engines in the wing?

Unfortunately no.

You get to go in behind/below the pilot comp, and that is it. There is a plexiglass wall separating you from the tailcone, but at least you can see back there. You also get to look up towards the cockpit via the ladder way.

Cockpit tour

Mike S -

You can see from the pictures there is a way past the plexiglass.

Last edited:
I guess that is what the VIP passes will get ya.;)

Both times I have been there, the ladder was off limits, as well as the upstairs that it led to.

It is my understanding that anyone can get the VIP pass. It is just a matter of donation amount but putting your butt where Howard put his is priceless. The first time I visited the museum you could not even get into the area you described because the elevator (A.D.A. accessability) was not in place. My guess is the rest of the airplane is not accessable to the "public" for similar reasons. I do not know how you could make the cockpit (spiral staircase) or the wings wheelchair accessable.

The museum also holds many other fine examples of flying machines all within the space of the building it took to house the "Goose". Anyone interested in aircraft should make the stop while in the Northwest. Van's Homecoming is a perfect opportunity.

Last edited:
Hat sighting at Lewis Airport Pancake Breakfast

The P-51 makes the hat look even better. Or is it the other way around?

545402850_6au7e-S.jpg

WOW nice!

Steve,

Looks great! Give me a call when you are ready to dynamicly balance the propeller! Have fun! 317-201-8517

Hat Sighting, Fremont Peak WY

Ok I'll give this a try. In July 2010, my son Landon, one of his buds, and I climbed Fremont Peak. From our house, or anywhere around Pinedale, Fremont is the most prominent of the peaks you can see. The first photo is Landon and I on the 12 mile hike into Island Lake, at the base of the peak, where we set up base camp. Fremont is in the background between us. The second photo is at the summit, another 3500 vertical feet above our base camp. I wasn't sure if an old, fat guy still had it in him. But I made it:cool: Good times:D

DSCN0024.jpg

DSCN0083.jpg

Alien Sighting

Rich Rudolph and I spotted an alien wearing a VAF cap at Area 51 located at North Texas Regional (KGYI). Didn't see what kind of RV he arrived in! :rolleyes:

DropBox

Last edited:
Summer hat sightings

219.jpg

A shot of myself in the reflection of a T-6 spinner at the Arlington airshow. That is a VAF hat i promise. Only turned around to take a picture.

1161.jpg

At Leadville taking our tourist shots.

1343.jpg

At Oshkosh waiting for the start of the show. Found enough shade to relax by the flight line

1373.jpg

Got to shake hands with Paul Poberezney at aeroshell square. What a great guy!!!

Passo dello Stelvio

che bello! At 2758 meters, its the second-highest paved pass in the Alps. The climb has about 50 switchbacks. This picture was apparently taken in late summer, because no snow. The ski resort on top is open in July. I climbed Stelvio on bicycle from Bolzano, about 2400 meters of climbing. The descent into Bormio is equally spectacular.

Stelvio Pass in Italy:

DSC_0135.jpg

Hat Sighting Darlington "To Tough To Tame" truck races

You can't get any closer than this to the race action...1st pit position at the Darlington "To Tough To Tame" truck race on March 12, 2011. A group of my airpark neighbors got pit passes from yet another neighbor who provides all the wreckers for Darlington races.

DSCN0444.jpg

DSCN0442.jpg

Hey Mark

We were just up stream from you in Vienna yesterday! We're in Brussels now, Luxembourg tomorrow and who-knows-where after that. I stupidly didn't bring my VAF hat:mad:

Safe travels

Jeremy

Sat over the Atlantic - around 30 West at FL400. 5 hours gone - 4:25 left going from Cancun to Manchester. And just the two of us........... :rolleyes:

IMG_1166.JPG

Oh - and the little stripe out of the window is Air Transat 688, 1,000' below - also going to Manchester - thanks for getting in the way chaps !

Last edited:
VAF Hat Sighting

The first VAF member that correctly guesses what Carribean bar this hat was sighted in today, will get a complimentary sightseeing flight from beautiful New Smyrna Beach, FL in our RV-10 whenever you show up. A post-flight Kalik (hint) beer, or two will be included.

Nope. About 45 minutes SE of Hanks at RV-10 cruise speed. I will post another photo tomorrow.;)

VAF Hat sighting Half Dome Yosemite

On the summit of Half Dome, Yosemite Valley.

IMG_0397.JPG

At 5:00pm 30 minutes after the route up the cables first opened for the season.

IMG_0402.JPG

Sentinel Dome in the distance.

Chat 'N' Chill in Exuma, Bahamas? :D

Getting warm, but no cigar. Another hint: The pigs that swim out to your boat to beg for scraps of food, are pretty close to this place. Couldn't get any more photos posted today due to internet problems.
Back home tomorrow afternoon.:(

Getting warm, but no cigar. Another hint: The pigs that swim out to your boat to beg for scraps of food, are pretty close to this place. Couldn't get any more photos posted today due to internet problems.
Back home tomorrow afternoon.:(

Well in that case, my final guess is Staniel Cay Yacht Club. :eek:

Matterhorn, Switerland

Hat sighting near Zermatt on the Rothorn; Worn by the Owner/Builder of RV6 N9EY

Zermatt-Murren%252520039.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Matterhorn sighting

Bonnie and I have spent the last month in Europe and could not leave for home without posting a picture of us with a VAF hat at the Matterhorn. Have had a great visit but it is time to head home.

17e4fc59.jpg

Pensacola Home Coming & Nose Art

Would have been better if TeamRV were there. Big guy flys a Decathlon and always scores higher in IAC contests: than I do with my RV. Nice to have living nose art from the A-26 to hug. Just trying to keep up the RV image.
BillMcG-manandchick.jpg

Another day at the office!

RV-1 Work Day #4 - 28Dec2011
After a long and productive work day at Jay Pratt's RV-Central,
Will Carlton gives everyone a smile with his unique sense of humor.
You 'da man, Will!

_DSC2946.JPG

Last edited:
Buzz Lightyear

So, there I was with my two grandsons and Tyler (that's Tyler on the left, Buzz, Dakota, me, and Logan) hanging out in the Gamma Quadrant, Sector 4, and who do we run across but Mr. Buzz Lightyear!! He was kind enough to pose for a picture and note the VAF hat that he is sporting. :cool:

Buzz1.jpg

He really seemed happy with the VAF hat based on his thumbs up sign.

BuzzCloseUp.jpg

Regards,

Last edited:
Back