What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slick LASAR magnetos and ignition box

Leewilkerson

I'm New Here
Does anyone know anything about this.
I hear the SLICK LASAR magnetos are obsolete and am trying to figure out if they can be replaced either regular slick Magnetos.
My airplane has a LASAR ignition box behind the firewall and the mags hook up to the box.
Thanks!
Lee

I do not know if they have been discontinued but GE quadrupled the price some time after they purchased UNISON a number of years ago. It is my opinion that they want out of the LASAR business but do not want to cut people off by just stopping support. Raise the price enough and people will go somewhere else.

Some of the parts in the LASAR mag is common with the Slick mag according to the high priced Factory service manuals and parts lists. IF one is familiar with and willing to work on their own, it should be possible to keep them running for at least one or two engine overhauls.

I have collected enough parts to keep my LASAR system running till I need a new engine. No I do not work on others LASAR mags but have torn into a few cheap non-working LASAR mags that I acquired for spare parts. The amount of time I put into three no good LASAR mags could have purchased one new one IF I were to have been paid a fair wage. One of the three had a broken wire between connector and relay that intermittent touched and worked. One had cold solder joints on the rectilinear capacitors and the capacitors fell off the circuit board. Another had a fast-on connector that connects the points being loose with poor connection. All in all, it was my opinion that the failures that I have seen were all poor workmanship.

Back