What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SDS Aero Billet Valve Covers PV Lycomings

Revised design

We've revised the design of our PV covers to fit Superior cylinders as well with extra height and clearance for the valve spring retainers.

The first batch of these are machining today.

Gen 2 PV Valve Covers

We have these in hand now. Managed to keep the bare weight around 150 grams.

Will be taking some to anodize early next week. If anyone wants to place an order, let us know your color preference. We currently do gold, red, clear and black.

Last edited:
Have the VCs in hand now and will be contacting the folks who ordered sets tomorrow.

Did some in blue at the request of one customer

Took another batch in to anodize as I picked these up.

Last edited:
Material didn't ship on time and was 10 days late arriving. We have it now and will start running another batch of valve covers on Monday. We only have 4 gold ones left in stock from the previous run if someone wants gold.

In for angle-valve covers

I would like to be on the list for a set of 4 covers for an angle valve when they become available. I have an IO-360-A1B6 in my -8.
Thanks,
Andy Elliott

I would like to be on the list for a set of 4 covers for an angle valve when they become available. I have an IO-360-A1B6 in my -8.
Thanks,
Andy Elliott

These have been scheduled for production for about 2 weeks now but other parts for EFI kits have priority and we've been super busy on that front. I talked to Trevor today and he hopes to get these on one mill for a long run time while he runs smaller EFI parts on the second mill requiring shorter run times.

I'll let you know when we have them in hand. Thank you.

New PV VC Run

Howard finished a new run of PV covers this afternoon and I'll pick them up on Thursday. Some will be going to anodizing early next week and I'll be running red, gold and clear at that time for shelf stock. Anyone wanting to order, this would be a good time so we can get more parts anodized at the same time which cuts the lead times.

We've got lots of valve covers in stock. Red, gold and clear anodized on the shelf plus unfinished if you want other colors.

If you're tired of leaky stock covers and bolts coming loose, fix it for good with these, lose some weight and improve the aesthetics at the same time.

Do you typically reuse the existing bolts/screws (not sure which they technically are I guess) from the old valve covers?

Very High Quality Parts!

I've recently installed these valve covers (and the induction tube flanges) on my IO-320. Beautifully machined and finished parts, and installation couldn't have been easier.

20190731_200301-M.jpg

Thanks for posting the photo Chris. Glad you like them. Look great on there.

As Mike said, we supply with SS Allen head bolts and AN washers.

Here are some pictures of my SDS Aero Billet Valve Covers. I emailed Ross the stars and bars emblem and they laser etched them. Easy and great communication and support. These are on new Superior Millennium steel cylinder assemblies.

These things have a slightly larger flange width than OEM valve covers so I had to trim the aluminum baffles around the footprint of the new covers so they would mate against the cylinder head sealing surface.

epBKH4I.jpg

ZUh6khu.jpg

Jim

Last edited:
Black

We just finished having 2 sets of valve covers anodized and laser etched for two customers yesterday.

Got lots on hand for PV engines, some more AV ones machining next week (finally).

Can anodize in clear, gold, red, black and Navy blue.

No plans for anything like this. Our AV covers sell about 1/10th as much as PV covers so it would be a money losing proposition for us to design and prototype these.

Sky Dynamics already makes these anyway.

Hey Ross, those black ones with your company?s logo look fantastic... looking forward for them to adorn my Lyco ;)

Hi Ross,
I may be interested in a set of these beautiful covers for my Aerosport IO-375. Has ECI tapered cylinders. Are your covers the same size, including flange, as the stock ones? I would actually like it if the flanges are a little larger to clean up some trimming I already did on the baffles.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Ross,
I may be interested in a set of these beautiful covers for my Aerosport IO-375. Has ECI tapered cylinders. Are your covers the same size, including flange, as the stock ones? I would actually like it if the flanges are a little larger to clean up some trimming I already did on the baffles.

Thanks!

The flanges on our covers don't roll under as the stamped sheet metal stock ones do and don't have the gasket so sometimes people do have to trim the baffle sheet slightly to fit our covers.

These are metal to metal (no gasket to crush), so standard torque for the 1/4-20 fasteners is fine. Look up the table in 43.13 or a million other standards manuals.

RV-3B SDS Billet Valve Covers and Intakes

Here is a quick shot of my new SDS Billet valve covers and intake tube upgrade. This is the second set of SDS covers. The first went on my RV-8. I really dig the o-ring hard torque design from a leak standpoint. And they look great. This is a 160hp parallel valve in my RV-3B:

8AxYu0z.jpg

mKJPQSX.jpg

Last edited:
Those look great on there. Thank you for the photo, review and support!

We are almost always preparing a set or two of each every week now with custom laser etched logos on the rocker covers. Thanks to everyone for their support on these products. :)

Back