What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Uavionix Tailbeacon EXP

mattsrv7

Well Known Member
I haven't seen many posts on the Tailbeacon. I bought the experimental version directly from Uavionix.

The process couldn't have been simpler.
Unscrew the old tail position light. Cut wires. Crimp on the new connection to the tailbeacon. Screw the mount into the same hole pattern. Screw the tailbeacon to the mount. Download the app and connect to WiFi. Type in the N-number and stall speed. Go fly.

I can see the information and tail number on my ADSB-in. The altitude was spot on between the altimeter, GPS, and ADSB-out.

I haven't seen many posts on the Tailbeacon. I bought the experimental version directly from Uavionix.

The process couldn't have been simpler.
Unscrew the old tail position light. Cut wires. Crimp on the new connection to the tailbeacon. Screw the mount into the same hole pattern. Screw the tailbeacon to the mount. Download the app and connect to WiFi. Type in the N-number and stall speed. Go fly.

I can see the information and tail number on my ADSB-in. The altitude was spot on between the altimeter, GPS, and ADSB-out.

Were you able to get a successful ADS-B Performance Report? For me, I had to adjust the transponder threshold to 37% to get a successful report. Below or above that, and I'd have Mode 3/A failures listed.

Did you lose your rear strobe in the process? That (IMO) is the big downside of the tailbeacon for those of us who have a rudder mounted strobe.

Installed mine in 30 minutes, setup with the app super easy, did an already planned Cross country in in the DC SFRA , submitted report request online when i got to my house , had positive confirmation in 5 minutes. ADSB out successful. Im happy but i agree with Kyle i was bummed to lose my tail strobe.
Thinking i may try to mount my AVEO posistrobe in another location ?

I finally got around to requesting an FAA ADS-B performance report and it showed it was good, no issues in the report. That's with the default settings and a Narco AT-150 transponder.

I bought the tailBeacon EXP directly from Uavionix and there were no rebates when I picked mine up.

https://uavionix.com/product/tailbeacon-experimental/

I was looking at a bunch of options and I'm happy with my choice so far.

Last edited:
I just installed the tailbeacon this weekend. A little more complicated since I didn?t want to wire it into the nav lights. I chose to run a new power lead connected to my avionics bus.

I moved the strobe to a new housing I 3-D printed and placed just in front of the rear tie down point.

Keith
N355RV
RV9-A

Pic of your new housing?

I just installed the tailbeacon this weekend. A little more complicated since I didn?t want to wire it into the nav lights. I chose to run a new power lead connected to my avionics bus.

I moved the strobe to a new housing I 3-D printed and placed just in front of the rear tie down point.

Keith
N355RV
RV9-A

Got any pic's? Care to make another for a few $? Thanks.

Tail Beacon

I ordered mine the day uAvionix released them. Install was a bit longer because the builder of my plane bonded the tail light in the rudder, and didn't leave any spare wire. So I had to fish new wire through the rudder. Total was about 4 hours time. Wired up, set up on the app, and went for a ride. Received a near perfect report by the time I got home. Then a few months later when the FAA brought back the rebate program and experimental planes weren't eligible uAvionix brought out their own $150.00 rebate. So I emailed asking if I was eligible for the rebate since I bought early they said sure, and sent me the gift card. Very pleased with the product and the company. Over a year now and no issues.

Back