What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One Hot Airplane! Piranha Only one left flying

rv969wf

Well Known Member
I'd like to share a few pictures of a VERY SPECIAL airplane that a friend of mine has as it is the only one flying in the world. For SALE?? NO NO NO.

Built in 1966 by American Electric. It was designed to carry one 500 lbs bomb and 8 rockets for Vietnam war.
This airplane was the first one built as a prototype and the military never owned it so it was not destroyed. Only 6 other Piranhas were built. One crashed in a spin test and the other 5 were destroyed by the military as the airplanes were very difficult to fly and for other reasons. The Piranha is tested for 16+- G's. Empty weight as of today stripped of bombs and rockets weighs 900 lbs. empty, no fuel, pilot etc.
Fuel capacity is 60 gals.

No this is not a misprint, but the Gross weight is 3,200 lbs. !!!!! :eek: This will tell you how strongly built this airplane is. Stall speed is 130mph full of 60 gals of fuel, plus pilot and 30 lbs of baggage. Light on fuel the stall speed is 120. NO Flaps either. Touch down speed is around the 125 mph range which needs plenty of runway to land. Flying pattern on final, the Piranha has to be slipped in as you cannot see the runway because of the very long nose and pilot sitting so far back. VNE is 399MPH. Top speed is disclosed, but it is fast. Engine is a Lycoming 180HP+++++ fuel injected with high comp pistons. Prop has an 8" extension swinging a ??? prop. BTW my friend that owns this has over 35,000++++ flying hours and none of this is airline time. This will tell you how good he is and I use him at each Bianual. One tricky bird to fly is all I can say and always a pleasure to see at our monthly EAA flyins. Were both members of EAA Chapter 377 as there are other pictures on our web site. http://www.eaa377.org/ If anyone would like to see this one of none Piranhas, check out our website for our monthly fly-in schedule as anyone is wellcome and you can personally see this airplane. Contact me if interested and I can tell you which fly-ins this airplane will be at. Anyway, just wanted to share this with any interested folks. Pictures taken today at our monthly EAA fly-in at Dodge City, KS Thanks AJ
PS: this Piranha does have RV wheel pants on it as of last year, so can we call it an RV???????? Kinda...LOL.. :D
dsc08003bz0.jpg

dsc08004ap0.jpg

dsc08005hn7.jpg

Last edited:
VANS Lower Cowl Mod

I forgot to mention that the lower cowl has a VANS fiberglass air inlet MOD for the fuel injection along with the VANS wheel pants. Hmmmm..... OK 1.5% RV maybe. :p

Geico266 said:
I can see it now, all you tail draggers drooling over the tail wheel pant.
Believe it or not, Van used to give you a tail wheel pant when you made your first flight. But that was many moons ago.

It's a Rocket Killer too!

rv969wf said:
I'd like to share a few pictures of a VERY SPECIAL airplane that a friend of mine has as it is the only one flying in the world. For SALE?? NO NO NO.

Pictures taken today at our monthly EAA fly-in at Dodge City, KS Thanks AJ

A.J.,
I hope you and Bud will think about attending the Gage, Ok Fly-in again on Memorial day. Both of you guys have awesome birds. Next time you see Bud tell him Chapter 1115 really appreciates what he's done for us. Especially his invitation only private airshow the day before the fly-in. What a treat!
(I'm the guy who was always droning around in the red and white Cherokee hauling Young Eagles. I'm building a -7 right down the road from you in WW).

Caveman said:
A.J.,
I hope you and Bud will think about attending the Gage, Ok Fly-in again on Memorial day. Both of you guys have awesome birds. Next time you see Bud tell him Chapter 1115 really appreciates what he's done for us. Especially his invitation only private airshow the day before the fly-in. What a treat!

We'll be at GAGE,OK if the weather is GOOD. My RV-6 is finally completed with 'Most' ???? of the mods done. The cookout / barbeque at the GAGE Fly-in is not something to miss out on as it IS awesome. FOOD and COMPANY at GAGE, Oklahoma FLY-IN is #1....AJ

Last edited:
Piranha Sighting

I had the pleasure of seeing this hot-rod in action about a year ago at a fly-in at F14 in Wichita Falls, Tx. When he left, he did a low pass for us, and he was MOVIN!!! :D

Thanks A.J. for sharing!

JJH

I saw this plane and talked to the owner a few years back when he brought it out to a fly-in that our (now defunct) local EAA chapter put on. What a wild machine. The other thing I remember about it is that it's TINY! It looked like the pilot's eyes would barely be above the cockpit rail.

The owner was a really neat guy too.

mcb

Cruise Speed

8CW said:
Alan, What does it cruise at? I saw VNE as 399.

Thanks,
Bill.
[/QUOTE

No one really knows the cruise speed except Bud. He's made a few changes to increase the speed and is still tweaking a few areas. Sorry I can't answer this other than it's fast. I will have to say that I've seen the Piranha do a fly by after diving to around 350mph plus and the verticle penetration is like no other airplane that I've ever seen in this horsepower range and weight.

at first it looked like John Harmon's HR-3 single seat without the turtle deck.

But look at that airfoil, definitely NOT the huge one on an RV.

Also has similar lines to the Glass Experimental that wins up at Reno or close to it and has the gear leg collapses all the time. can't recall the name.

can anyone post a pict of an HR-3 here for comparison?

Cruise is listed as 230mph at 2500 rpm and 19 inches at 10,000 feet. Very decent for 210hp. Max level speed 260mph. A very nice looking airplane.

Drop tank

rv969wf said:
[/QUOTE
the verticle penetration is like no other airplane that I've ever seen in this horsepower range and weight.

That's almost an understatement!

A.J. can you confirm something for me? I heard a rumour that the fuse was made from the drop tank of a bomber. Perhaps a B-36?

Also, you guys should see the prop in person. Very wide cord and small diameter. The pictures don't show it well.

AJ-

Bud seems to be a legend in our neck of the woods :rolleyes: .

I was a lucky kid having Bud as my flight instructor. He is a heck of a guy and one of the best pilots/instructors out there. Hopefully this spring I will be finishing up my tailwheel endorsement with him! If anybody ever gets a chance to meet Bud you'll never forget him!

BTW - I think a year or two back there was a complete magazine article of Bud and the Piranha in Experimental Aircraft Technology Magazine (?) .

Edit: I was just thinking of a time when I took off in the 150 ahead of Bud up at Lucas, Ks from breakfast. As I was on a left downwind departure Bud zipped past my right wing like I was standing still and made two aileron rolls (Piranha rolls 720 deg./sec.) as he was chuckling at me over the radio.

Last edited:
Prop extension

So it has a metal CS prop, an 8 inch prop extension and has a limit of +16G's???

If I'm reading this right I assume the 2 5/8ths extension used with the Sam James cowl is NOTHING to worry about?

I never was worried but folks seem to get real excited about it.

Frank

frankh said:
So it has a metal CS prop, an 8 inch prop extension and has a limit of +16G's???

If I'm reading this right I assume the 2 5/8ths extension used with the Sam James cowl is NOTHING to worry about?

I never was worried but folks seem to get real excited about it.

Frank

Sounds kinda stressful on the crank, but the present engine in the Piranha has 1,900 hours with no problems. I'm running a 4" prop extension on my -6 and I limit my +- to 3.8g's per hartzell. Buds Piranha has not been pampered by any means either. He must have one heck of a good crankshaft in it. I don't think the prop and hub is rated at 16g's, but the airframe is.

Yes but

Then there will have to be a 2 seat tandem..Call that the 14 (or 18 if its prepunched), and side by side..16/17....and...

Caveman said:
A.J. can you confirm something for me? I heard a rumour that the fuse was made from the drop tank of a bomber. Perhaps a B-36?

Also, you guys should see the prop in person. Very wide cord and small diameter. The pictures don't show it well.

Joe, I talked to Bud tonight and he told me that the fuselage from the pilot seat aft was made from the same die/fixture as a NaPalm Bomb.

Also the wing span originally was 18', then Bud clipped 14" off each wing to gain more speed, one reason for high stall speed. When Bud did airshows with the Piranha he was pulling 8g's many times and has not had a problem with the 8" prop hub extension/prop, but he has plans for a composite prop down the road.

The Piranha had approximately 200 hours of testing by the military then the courts allowed the plane to be sold and it only had two other owners prior to Bud P. One owner which was an F-15 pilot never got the plane off the ground and sent it into the weeds because of the P factor and lack of skills in a plane like this. This Piranha has around 3,000 total time and is the only one flying,,,, so it has the highest time :eek: . Bud P has put the remainder with approximately 2,750 hours in this machine.

I've sat in this thing a couple of times and it sends chills because there is no room in the cockpit and you can't see a darn thing.

Someone listed speed numbers in this post which don't really relate because of the clipped wings, aero mods, cowl and RV pant work. One cool plane.

Last edited:
I think I saw it at a fly-in at Newton, Kansas a couple years back. It made what I could only describe as a "ripping" noise when it flew overhead to enter the pattern.

The rumor going around the airport was that it started life as a jet fighter's drop tank, to which the enterprising "builder" added an engine and flying surfaces! :rolleyes:

Edit: I guess I should read the entire string before posting. :D

Last edited:
RV7Aflyer said:
Is there any chance this airplane will be at AirVenture this year?

I was talking to Bud about flying into Osh a few months back. He usually goes up, but lands at a nearby airport then takes a shuttle to Airventure. With the speed-in-pattern restrictions he has to make s-turns to keep slow enough and stay in the same spot in the pattern he is supposed to. When he comes in, he comes in HOT!

Last edited:
Wow that is HOT

rv969wf said:
Stall speed is 130mph full of 60 gals of fuel, plus pilot and 30 lbs of baggage. Light on fuel the stall speed is 120. NO Flaps either. Touch down speed is around the 125 mph range which needs plenty of runway to land.
130mph STALL!
33.gif
Wow that is as faster than a light B757. If you take Van's RV stall of approx 55 and 130, that is a factor of 6.75 times the energy. Definitely not a plane for anyone, but definitely very pleasing to the eye, perdy plane.

Last edited:
gmcjetpilot said:
130mph STALL!
33.gif
Wow that is as faster than a light B757. If you take Van's RV stall of approx 55 and 130, that is a factor of 6.75 times the energy. Definitely not a plane for anyone, but definitely very pleasing to the eye, perdy plane.

Considering its a 900 pound plane, a few hundred of that is the motor and prop, your left with not a whole lot of metal for the wings and fuse. That has to be one **** of a wing to support 16 G's...I wonder if that was at its weapons carrying weight. Rockets on the wings would help with that, but reguardless, I bet those stubbey, narrow wings have some serious spars and reinforcenment in the. I am loving the shape of the fuse and tail...whos going to make one and strap some RV-8 wings on it :)

Another Pic

This will give everyone an idea as to how small this Piranha is with people standing by it. Picture taken Jan 2006 and EAA 377 Beaver, OK fly-in.
pinkstonpiranha106uz3.jpg

Will his noggin' still fit in the cockpit?

Chris, your dad's GOT to be lovin' this! ;)

Jj

Building RV-4 fastback
RV-6
YAK 50
Military stuff

JJ

Jetj01 said:
Chris, your dad's GOT to be lovin' this! ;)

Jj

Building RV-4 fastback
RV-6
YAK 50
Military stuff

Hey JJ how's it going? Looks like your -4 is coming together. I don't think Bud has seen any of this because he's old fashion and doesn't have a computer, but I did get his permission to post the Piranha on VAF. I was hoping that Chris might see this thread and put his 2cents on here as he's flown it and has a computer. Better run and good luck on the -4 fastback. AJ

You might be right Jj

Jj, called dad at 6 this morning and told him to come over and check it out. He should get a kick out of it.

AJ, I have about 15 hours in the Piranha I suppose-enough to be dangerous!

Chris

Dad has the upper hand?

Chris Pinkston said:
Jj, called dad at 6 this morning and told him to come over and check it out. He should get a kick out of it.

Chris

Hey Bud! Make Chris post a close-up of the side of your plane with the broken rockets! ;)

Thanks Chris

Chris Pinkston said:

AJ, I have about 15 hours in the Piranha I suppose-enough to be dangerous!

Chris

Congrats Chris on your first post here on VAF! Hope everything on here is a ok with your Dad. I had quite a few people asking about the Piranha so I got your Dads permision the other day, looks like there are plenty of people interested in seeing the Piranha in person someday.

Thanks!

Thanks AJ!

Thanks Brad! I love my RVs but that YAK is truly the best flying plane I've ever flown, military included! And having my best bud in a matching pair just makes it fun-er!

As for Bill's, I gotta say, I'd give my left... something to have a landing strip/spread like Bills's...and the food was GREAT!

And finally, Chris has to be VERY CAREFULL what he says here because we all know that many of those Piranha mods are a direct result of the blistering speed Chris gets out of his Yellow Rocket. Is there a father/son competition...well, we'll leave that open for debate!

Ha!

Jj
Building RV4 Fastback
RV-6
YAK 50
military stuff

Last edited:
Jetj01 said:
Is there a father/son competition...well, we'll leave that open for debate!

Well considering the Rocket is "Fishbait" and the Piranha has broken yellow rocket decals on it.... :D

????????????????

Jetj01 said:
Thanks AJ!

And finally, Chris has to be VERY CAREFULL what he says here because we all know that many of those Piranha mods are a direct result of the blistering speed Chris gets out of his Yellow Rocket. Is there a father/son competition...well, we'll leave that open for debate!

Ha!

Jj
Building RV4 Fastback
RV-6
YAK 50
military stuff

Jj, it's all you fault or is it Chris's because you sold that HOT :D Yellow Rocket to Chris. If Chris had not purchased that hotrod, Bud probably would of left the Piranha in peace and would have not installed those Vans RV wheel pants and lower cowl inlet mods and the other things he did to it. :p

I've gotten a kick out the the two: "Father / Son" who can outrun who thing on the top end! :p

Last Saturday I lined up with Chris on the runway, Me in my RV-6 200HP with passenger full of fuel and Chris P in the Rocket,,,,,,well you know the answer, I kept up until about 200ft and woosh,,,,, I saw the tail of the Rocket and that was the end of it.

PS: I've been chatting on the phone with Bud over the past year sharing a few things I've learned with cooling drag and other mods, so watch out Chris P if your reading this, your Rocket will be dust behind the Piranha for good if your Dad will let me help him along with building a HOT engine down the road. Cheers! AJ :D

Last edited:
Y'all had better watch out, my O-290 powered RV-9 will smoke all of you!

Oh, what? This isn't the C-150 forum?

Come on Down!

AJ,

Why don't you help me plumb my engine in my Sam James cowl???? I don't want to have the slowest RV-4 around!

Jj
Building RV-4 Fastback
Flying RV-6
Loving YAK 50
Still going fast in military stuff, solo today in a T-38C (glass cockpit)

The designer - builder's...

daughter lives in Northern calif. She has some interesting stories about dad and his planes.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

groucho said:
Ok, I need to fly that plane. Sign me up!

A Million Dollars will not buy this airplane. This is a fact because it's been offered. The owner will not sell it. :p

If you sold the farm, kids, wife, etc. and whatever else you had to spare, maybe.. :eek:

I don't own this Piranha, but a close friend of mine does and there have only been a few people to fly it, probably less than a hand full. It's not any easy bird to fly BTW from what I know about it. That's why there is only ONE Piranha left being flown by a 35,000 +++hour plus pilot that is VERY good. :eek:

Last edited:
Builder

"It's not any easy bird to fly BTW from what I know about it. That's why there is only ONE Piranha left... Built in 1966 by American Electric."

The designer/builder was Milton Charles Blair, according to his daughter he penciled out the plane and got American Electric to pay for it. He hired several designers and they drew up the plans. He and several others built it in a hanger @ Lockheed. American Electric got the plans, Milton got the plane. AE might have built several more for the Mil, but if this IS the original it is truly a one off. Stories of this guy are something. film producer, round the world on a yacht, building a plane to stomp someone in Reno.
Milton was killed in a crash of a Cosmic Wind or a Midget Mustang in England in 1969.
Milton's son would be the one to ask about details of the building.
Orvill Blair, [email protected]

Tony Loro
Nevada City, CA

rv969wf said:
A Million Dollars will not buy this airplane. This is a fact because it's been offered. The owner will not sell it. :p

If you sold the farm, kids, wife, etc. and whatever else you had to spare, maybe.. :eek:
Oh I don't want to buy it...just fly it! :D

One Mesmerizing Airplane

I remember being in my early teens and seeing Bud come to the Coffeyville, KS airport with the Piranha for the annual Funk Fly-In more than a decade ago. He did a bunch of high speed passes for us and some wicked climb outs too...it's so cool to see a post about it here on the forums...I was hoping there would be some pics of it on the net somewhere. I'm glad to see it's still flying and being drooled over just like I remember it as a kid!

I've met Bud and seen this plane in person too, It's a pretty amazing little machine. I've been seeing it each year for the past few years at Wautoma, WI airport, during Airventure week... Wautoma is a great place to stay at, just 30 miles west of KOSH, and the four years I've been going, there's always been a "usual crowd" meeting up there from all over the country.

help to sell RV 7

I would like to know what is legal and any other paperwork or procedures needed to secure yourself against potential law suits after selling and experimental aircraft like an RV 7

Back