What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TMI (too much information)

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
Interesting panel configuration situation today. I was flying today out of Riverside Jones and they were really busy with the flight schools and the fact that it was one of the first Saturdays lately with good flying weather.

Coming back into the airport under approach control I started to get inundated with "bitchin betty" ForeFlight traffic audio warnings which started to step on communications with approach and then the tower. Finally turned off ForeFlight to avoid the distraction.

My system configuration for normal audio messages and tones (Dynon, AoA, 796 etc) has them all routed through the aux music input on the PS 3000 intercom which has a auto mute function when a transmission is received so there is no problems with blocking ATC/tower communications.

My ForeFlight however runs on an iPhone 6+ which is blue-toothed to my Bose headset and lately ForeFlight has been getting increasingly verbose with aural warnings (runway intersection, runway remaining, traffic, short final etc. etc.) and in this configuration there is no mute function similar to the intercom. Net result at a busy airport in a dense traffic environment, with all the alerts turned on, there is too much audio information which can be very distracting as a minimum and can cause you to miss an ATC or tower call which would be worse.

I have an external music input jack so one solution for me would be to plug in a bluetooth receiver and sync foreflight to that which would add the mute function. The other approach of course would be to selectively turn off the audio alerts.

What configurations do others have to declutter/filter information in these circumstances?
Figs

Are you certain that the Bose headset doesn't have a "mute bluetooth when COM receiving" feature? My Lightspeed Zulu 2 has it, and it works very well.
Maybe there's a DIP switch or other setting that turns it off and you inadvertently have it activated?

Good thought

Will check the manual, only got the new updated cable last year so it may.
Figs

Headset mute switch

1001001 is correct, in reading the manual the headset has a mute function for secondary audio and the ability to prioritize the secondary audio inputs (AUX and B-T). I probably have the switch in the MIX versus MUTE position which mixes the audio inputs hence the overlapping comms.

1001001 is correct, in reading the manual the headset has a mute function for secondary audio and the ability to prioritize the secondary audio inputs (AUX and B-T). I probably have the switch in the MIX versus MUTE position which mixes the audio inputs hence the overlapping comms.

Good to hear.

Back