What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Video In

rotorbailey

I want to connect an IR camera to my G3X system. I searched the Install Guide for "video" and the word does not appear.

The marketing page says that it accepts composite video through a BNC connector. Can anyone point me to more detailed information:

- What are the supported input and displayed resolutions?

- With a single 10" GDU, it will always act as PFD and I presume the video is only viewable on half of the screen or as an inset?

I want to connect an IR camera to my G3X system. I searched the Install Guide for "video" and the word does not appear.

The marketing page says that it accepts composite video through a BNC connector. Can anyone point me to more detailed information:

- What are the supported input and displayed resolutions?

- With a single 10" GDU, it will always act as PFD and I presume the video is only viewable on half of the screen or as an inset?

Hello,

The composite video input on the BNC connector should work with just about any PAL/NTSC camera (such as the Garmin VIRB). This video input is standard on every 10.6" GDU 460/465 and 7" GDU 450/455 touch screen display.

You are correct that the video image on a PFD may be viewed in both an inset window on the full width PFD and in a split screen window on the PFD. Just touching the video inset window splits the PFD and brings up the larger video window. On an MFD, the video image may be viewed in a full width window.

The image from the camera may be viewed at its native resolution, scaled to window width, scaled to window heighth, or stretched in both width and heighth to fit the entire window.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, thanks. I'm looking at the ICI 9320 P Series (320x240) and ICI 9640 P Series (640x480) IR cameras. There is no point going for the latter unless that resolution would actually be displayed. Can you help me with:

- Are these input resolutions both supported?
- What resolution is displayed when video is in inset window on the full width PFD and in a split screen window on the PFD?

Steve, thanks. I'm looking at the ICI 9320 P Series (320x240) and ICI 9640 P Series (640x480) IR cameras. There is no point going for the latter unless that resolution would actually be displayed. Can you help me with:

- Are these input resolutions both supported?
- What resolution is displayed when video is in inset window on the full width PFD and in a split screen window on the PFD?

Hello Rotorbailey,

The composite video image out of the Garmin VIRB is 700 x 480, and we display that both at native resolution and stretched to fit the screen in several ways.

If you are viewing the image on a full width video page on the GDU 46X MFD, we can accommodate really large video images up to 1280 wide.

A split screen video window on the PFD without an EIS strip is 640 wide by about 650 high. The video inset window on a full width PFD is about 300 x 270. The total screen size is 1280 x 768.

Thanks,
Steve

How would you go from the USB connector on the camera to the BNC video in on the MFD?

Hello Evolution10,

If you are asking about the USB connector on the Garmin VIRB, the VIRB Audio-Video Cable provides an adapter cable that converts the USB connector on the VIRB to multiple signals including an RCA style composite video.

Here is an example of an RCA to BNC Adapter that would plug into the RCA connector on the VIRB Audio-Video Cable and let you use commonly available 75 ohm video coax with BNC connectors on each end. The video input connector on the GDU 4XX is BNC.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Steve, thanks: that's exactly what I was looking for re displayed resolutions.

Evolution 10, these cameras are advertised as having a USB connector, but that is due to an attached module which converts composite video to digital. For this application, I would simply attach the camera's native composite video output directly to the G3X.

Back