What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need a quick Chesapeake bay crab cake rec.

Veetail88

Well Known Member
Heading out tomorrow to visit a job site just south east of Gettysburg and I'm thinking I might as well fly on a bit to grab dinner somewhere. Really craving some local crab cakes but have no local experience. Bay Bridge Airport has a few very close restaurants within walking distance, but I thought I'd ask here.

I'll have to stay out of the DC TFR of course so I'll be somewhat restricted, but it would be great to have excellent dinner with minimum hike as I'll have somewhat limited time.

Thanks

Tangier Island is my favorite crab cakes destination. It's out in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay. If that's not too far, I think you'll love it.

Closest is probably Hemingway?s. A stones throw from Bay Bridge. There is a nice restaurant a little further south on the field at Cambridge KCGE. I have only had breakfast at Cambridge. Crab Omelet !

You need to do the online course within 60NM of DC. You can then transit through, enter, or depart the SFRA per the procedures in the course (which are really simple). You will not be allowed into the FRZ. IFR everything is transparent. VFR, two lessons learned: First, you just need to pick the closest gate to your planned flight path to get your strip to the correct controller. you don't have to actually navigate to that point. Second, if you are ever asked "did you file?" the answer should always be "Yes!"

But if after taking the course, you still want to avoid the Forces of Darkness, and you decide to circumnavigate to Bay Bridge:

Shortest walk is the Crab Shack. Good crab cake, outside seating.

Next in distance is Knoxie's Table. Excellent crab cake (and food in general) but pricey.

Then Hemmingway's. Very good crab cake, bayfront views, but about twice as far of a walk.

If you arrive during business hours, Rick behind the desk will run you over to the vehicle access gate on the north side, which shortens the walk considerably.

I am out of town, else I'd join you!

Tangier Island

I 2nd Tangier Island

Its where they catch the crab that ends up every where else.

Awesome island, land the plane walk to restaurants. Get the best crab cakes you ever had.

Its one of the places I cant wait to go back to

The on-field restaurant at Cambridge (KCGE), Kay's, serves an excellent crabcake sandwich. It's only a little farther than Bay Bridge and a very scenic flight at 500 ft. Or, if you want to have the $150 crab cake sandwich, fly into BWI and Uber over to G&M's -- they are the best!

Last edited:
You need to do the online course within 60NM of DC.

It's within 30nm ring where the gates and SRFA requires the training, correct?

There is a 60 mile ring, but all you have to be doing is squawking and talking inside of that (Flight Following). I heard that direct from a Center Controller. I'm from Michigan so I could be wrong... it's not my usual territory. But I travel out to Ocean City, MD (KOXB) several times a year, passing Washington DC, and haven't had a problem going within the 60nm ring with just flight following.

I know the locals from OXB have flown to Easton, MD for years now to go to eat at Kay's all the time without talking to anybody. I hope they're not just spreading bad info!

Last edited:
Close. 30 mile ring is a mode C veil just like any class bravo would have. Xpndr required, nothing else. SFRA area is slightly smaller and CGE is outside of both. Those who fly within 60 miles of the sfra are expected to take the online course, but a flight plan/ff/squawk isn’t required unless you enter the sfra itself

What about Kentmore restaurant? 3W3, pretty easy and nice......But landing at Tangier? yeah I'd have to put that on the double check the square list - crabs and "I been there with my plane".

For sure G&Ms are absolutely excellent and will leave you stuffed. Youd have to double check into BWI landing and parking fees..not sure how that works for GA....

Last edited:
With the amount of precipitation we?ve gotten this year I?d venture that Kentmorr has been closed more than it has been open (currently closed).

I?ll also put my vote in for Tangier island, no SFRA just restricted areas above. No fuss flying in and a short stroll later you?re elbow deep in chowder, crab cakes and soft shell crabs at Loraine?s.

St Mary's Co 2W6 and Uber over to Solomons Island (5 miles ish). Plenty of seafood places to eat.

And ask someone about stuffed ham - Only found in southern Maryland.

Thanks for all the replies guys! As I was running short on time I ended up at Bay Bridge airport vs shooting down to Tangiers. Maybe another time.

Walked to the Stevensville Crab Shack as it was close. The crab cake was good, but certainly not the best I've had. To date, I'd say the best I've come across were at the restaurant at the Ryder Jet Center in Hagerstown. The were awesome!

Still worth the trip though.

9hkqir.jpg

ev8e3c.jpg

All of these places mentioned I have been to and eaten their crab cakes. They are excellent...every one.

One of the best and easy to get to is Stoney's on Soloman Island. Land at St. Mary's Regional (2W6, where I used to be based) and Uber over. It's about a 3 mile ride. You won't be disappointed.

But to all of you who have seen Maryland Crab Cakes listed on various menus across the country... let me tell you, they are NOT Maryland Crab Cakes. You gotta go to Maryland to get the real thing. Period.

Back