VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   My RV Build Project (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   RV-7 #74152 Half Moon Bay, CA (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=93947)

wjb 12-08-2012 09:08 PM

RV-7 #74152 Half Moon Bay, CA

Hi RV Friends,

We're 6 for 6 .. the first 6 rivets on a new RV-7 (easy, with an alligator squeezer). I'm already thankful for all the good advice already garnered from this site. I'm looking forward to more ... and adding to the mix. In a few years, I'll be shooting low approaches to KHAF!

I'm looking forward to your help and encouragement!

-Bill

Golf Echo 12-08-2012 09:26 PM

Nice picture :)
Looks like you're a little ahead of me. I have a feeling we'll cross posts a few times on here over the build process.
Happy riveting!

wjb 12-08-2012 09:37 PM

Looking forward to sharing the journey. It was a great day in "the factory"

Dbro172 12-08-2012 11:39 PM

Let the fun begin

Ahhhhh, I remember those rivets from about 6 months ago... What is that sweet looking white primer you got there?

scsmith 12-08-2012 11:41 PM

small world?

Bill,
I live in cupertino, and my RV-8 is at Reid Hillview. Easy for me to pop over the hill if you have any questions that need a set of eyes.

BTW, you must be related to Dan Bencze that worked his whole career at NASA?

He was my boss for many years, and my father's boss too....
Did you work on gravity probe B?

Very cool that you are building a -7. I'll swap you a ride in the -8 for a ride in the -7 any time you need some motivation.

Captain_John 12-09-2012 07:29 AM

Bill,

Keep pounding those rivets! Kit number 4152, huh? I am kit number 312!

I hope you build faster than I! Thinking back to my emp kit...

That was seven years ago!

Nice work you are doing there! It is worth it!

;) CJ

wjb 12-09-2012 12:59 PM

I assume the S/N is 0312? It's incredible to think that there are almost 4000 other -7's out there being brought to life. Awesome!

Captain_John 12-09-2012 01:53 PM

Bill,

Yes, 70312 is me.

I am sure that there are empennages hanging in garages that will never see the light of day, but OTOH there are many that do fly. The proof is right here!

There were MANY times I wondered how I would even make it as far as I already have. I still have much to do.

Building the plane is a journey. Enjoy it! We certainly don't build these things because they are cheap!

Have fun and let me know if there is anything I can help you out with. Glad to assist in any way I can!

:D CJ

BSwayze 12-09-2012 02:25 PM

Bill, welcome to the group! You're gonna love this journey. Just settle in and go at your own pace and enjoy the ride. I remember those first rivets like it was yesterday. That was almost 6 years ago for me, and I'm still plugging away. But it has been one of the most enjoyable, rewarding things I've ever done in my life. :)

By the way, mine is kit number 2980! :)

wjb 12-09-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dbro172 (Post 723564)
Ahhhhh, I remember those rivets from about 6 months ago... What is that sweet looking white primer you got there?

White primer? That's the power coat on the brackets from Van's. I've read all the primer wars stuff, and have settled (so far) on using the Stewart System EcoPrime primer/sealer .. thou, I used the Dupli-color self etching primer for the bearing bracket here 'cus I wanted to build and not fire up the sprayer for this teeny part.