What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose wheel axle bolt

Bavafa

Well Known Member
I have installed the nose wheel axle bolt with all the spacer and washers per plan and it looks to be a bit too short. When I tighten the nut to a minimum of 90 inch/lb I am still one or two threads short of getting to the nylon portion of the nut but everything else looks OK. There is some friction on the wheel so it is certainly not turning freely but not too much friction and more importantly, the rubber on the bearing is not turning with the wheel. If I tighten the nut to get to the nylon portion then the friction on the wheel increases to the point that I don?t think it is right.

I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue. I could get a longer bolt (AN6-66A) but I am wondering if something is amiss if I am the only one that has ran into this issue.

A good place for an upgrade

I was having trouble getting pre-load on the nosegear bearing that was I comfortable with and decided to upgrade the axle with a Matco Axle. With this axle you preload the wheel bearings with the axle assembly and then install the assembly in the fork. The AN bolt in the fork get's torqued to full spec, and the wheel turns with the friction set by the pre-load only

http://www.matcomfg.com/AXLEASSEMBLYA24125INCH-idv-3657-1.html

I was having trouble getting pre-load on the nosegear bearing that was I comfortable with and decided to upgrade the axle with a Matco Axle. With this axle you preload the wheel bearings with the axle assembly and then install the assembly in the fork. The AN bolt in the fork get's torqued to full spec, and the wheel turns with the friction set by the pre-load only

http://www.matcomfg.com/AXLEASSEMBLYA24125INCH-idv-3657-1.html

Hi Jared,
I used the same axle on my 7A and I loved it. It takes all the guessing out for torqueing the axle nut. Of course the 7A doesn't have that solid piece (U-1009) that 14 has.
Did you have to use the space with the Matco axle or just the axle (part that you have sent link to)

Yes, I had to use the spacer

Hi Jared,
I used the same axle on my 7A and I loved it. It takes all the guessing out for torqueing the axle nut. Of course the 7A doesn't have that solid piece (U-1009) that 14 has.
Did you have to use the space with the Matco axle or just the axle (part that you have sent link to)

Sorry, I forgot about that!. Yes, I had to use the spacer as well.

http://www.matcomfg.com/SPACERAXLE24KIT-idv-3681-44.html

Ditto on the Matco axle and .25 spacers, very simple and you can torque correctly.

Do you guys have the lighting hole in your fork? I ordered the Matco axle and the spacer but the 1/4" bolt hole is too close to a lighting hole with not a proper edge distance. How do you keep the axle from possibly turning with the wheel?

The Matco instructions say to use a .1875 dia hole for the wider forks
The hole 1/4"-20 that gets drilled into the fork to keep the axle from turning is too close to the lighting hole in the fork for the proper edge distance.
One option is to use a counter sink bolt and drill it away from the lighting hole or simply don't drill it. With the full torque of the AN6, there is hardly any chance for the axle to start turning with the wheel.

Matco instructions say DO NOT drill a 1/4" hole...drill a .1875 hole in the wider forks which use the spacers. The .1875 hole may have adequate edge margin

Matco instructions say DO NOT drill a 1/4" hole...drill a .1875 hole in the wider forks which use the spacers. The .1875 hole may have adequate edge margin
Would this be also a new hole in the spacer and the solid axle then? The instruction that came with mine does not indicate that or at least I did not see it. The solid axle already has a .25" drilled and tapped in it and obviously the .1875 size hole will not be useful for a .25" hole that is tapped.

Wouldn't it be easier to use a flush head screw and counter sink the fork?

I didn't drill the hole, no problems observed

I didn't drill the hole in the axle. The AN6 bolt torqued to spec keeps the spacers and axle from turning. Have 120hrs so far on this setup, no sign of issues as of yet.

I am far from flying yet but this is what I am planning on and I just don't see how it could start turning if it is properly torqued.

Back