What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EarthX battery

Bavafa

Well Known Member
I was wondering how many have chosen EarthX battery for their 14 and which model was chosen, the 680 or 900.

I am planning on getting the EarthX but unsure of which model. Do I really need a 900 for the IO390 or simply an overkill?

While cranking amps is a consideration, battery reserve (amp-hours) tends to drive selecting battery size.

Decide how many hours of flight you want to have on battery power alone. If this will be an IFR plane, strongly recommend a two battery design scheme. Identical batteries are, in my opinion, advantageous over mixed.

Carl

Alternator size

My understanding from talking to EarthX is that the alternator output determines the size. The 680 is limited to 60 amps and the 900 is sized for 70 amps.

Call EarthX to confirm.

I have a 60A alternator and I run an EarthX 1200. I wanted to remove my secondary battery so this was the best way to go for my system. Kathy is AWESOME. Give her a call.

This battery has operated well thus far. it is hanging on my firewall on the FWF side.

I would go with the 900 but he 680 is adequate...

I have been running the 680 for several years and more than 600 hours and it is adequate for a 390 but if I had it to do over again I would go with the 900 for the extra reserve and depth of charge.

If you are placing the battery on the inside firewall (I am for the second battery) consider using this: ETX900 Vent I have been a long time user of Lithium based batteries and have seen one very small battery emit a lot of noxious fumes.

Back