What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Primer choice

Jskyking

Well Known Member
Lately, There?s been a lot of conversations about primers and quite in depth almost to the point of confusion.
I?m getting ready to prime my spars and ribs and am hoping to buy only one brand of primer for the build. I plan on shooting it with a HVLP, but am not averse to rattle cans.

I want to keep it simple in both application and cleanup. I also would like a durable finish. I don?t have a paint booth.

In no particular order,
1. SW P60 G2
2. Stewart Systems
3. SEM

Any thoughts, ideas, and suggestions are appreciated.
Jt

P60G2

Lately, There?s been a lot of conversations about primers and quite in depth almost to the point of confusion.
I?m getting ready to prime my spars and ribs and am hoping to buy only one brand of primer for the build. I plan on shooting it with a HVLP, but am not averse to rattle cans.

I want to keep it simple in both application and cleanup. I also would like a durable finish. I don?t have a paint booth.

In no particular order,
1. SW P60 G2
2. Stewart Systems
3. SEM

Any thoughts, ideas, and suggestions are appreciated.
Jt

P60G2 is easy to use and super light. I sprayed every part inside with it and an HVLP gun. SEM is also an easy choice. No experience with Stewart. Feel free to e-mail. Happy to share tips.

Never ending debate...

The choice is yours of course.

I have tried the rattle cans SEM and the Stewart System. I decided against both... Havent tried P60G2.

This is just my experience...So take it with a grain of salt.
Stewart arrived in unusable condition twice. I talked to the manufacturer and it looked like it doesn't deal well with cold and I was ordering this stuff in the winter. Service was great if and when you manage to reach them.

SEM I tried on my practice project mini wing. Did several scratch tests and other fluids like AVGAS and break fluids on it. Decided against it.

I ended up with a 2K epoxy based primer used by airbus. It really is way to much work to set up and prep but the results are superb. So to sum up. I really wish I wasn't priming at all. It will slow you down tremendously.

My Process (takes a while):
Scuff.
Clean.
Acetone wipe.
Mix 2 parts (wait 30 min)
Add thinner
Spray parts
Then heat up booth to max temp possible for about an hour.

Parts are ready to withstand dimples and rivets the next day but it will develop chemical strength over time of a week or two.

Not sure if that helps at all. But pick your poison and move on to building. I spend months on this debate... I sure love the look of green "military" look on my parts... I guess I am a sucker for the classics.

download

good luck!

Last edited:
Back