What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newton Consulting SPRL v4

rjhecker

Good evening :) I am building a -10 and starting to plan for my engine/fuel/ignition systems.

I have done some digging around but haven't seen anybody talk about the Newton Consulting's SPRL v4 fuel selector.

The idea of the EFII systems sounds very appealing but the price tag of the Andair duplex fuel selector is not so actractive . It got me looking around for another not so crazy priced option... maybe for another system or maybe for just another duplex fuel selector.

What are you guys flying with and do you still love it?

Thanks for your advice guidance ahead of time,
Robert

I installed a SPRL V4 fuel valve in my plane and I was not impressed. There were a bunch of burrs left in it from machining, I don't like how the fuel has to flow up through the valve and I ordered a L/R/OFF which turns out is just a 4 way without the 'Both' position labled. I exchanged it, couldn't get a refund, and the second was better but not great. Tried to sell it but nobody would buy it after I explained why I was selling it. I eventually took a file to it and cleaned up the burrs and am using it. Wish I would have found the Groco duplex valves that you can pickup for $133 on Amazon before I bought the SPRL.

Hate to say it--

but have to second the comments of Jon. I looked at one at OSH and wasnt thrilled with the machining or the threading of the ports. Pretty rough cuts on the threads. The valve was very stiff--as in have some one else hold it while I tried to turn it.

Tom

Not sure if this is an isolated problem...

Just wanted to throw in my two cents here. I don't know if Newton has recently changed their production process to correct the issues you all are raising, or if something else is going on, but for what little it's worth, I've got three Newton fuel selector valves sitting in our shop, so I wanted to at least check them out and see if I could weigh in on the issues we're raising in this thread.

The long and short of it is that the units I have here, which were purchased in the last few months, don't show any signs of sloppy machining that you're talking about here, and I don't see any problem with the resistance in turning the valve. Finish and function on these parts are quite good as far as I can tell.

I don't want anyone to rule out a product that would otherwise be a good fit for your build if whatever quality issues might have existed in the past have been straightened out.

I made a short and poorly narrated video on the subject if anyone is interested in a visual. You can ignore my comments about no one having installed one; I was in a bit of a hurry to get this video shot before I left town for the holiday and I didn't check this thread before I said that! Video here: https://youtu.be/7jLxGpFA02U

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a safe flight!

newton valve V4

Hi, I am sorry to see two negative comments here.

They are partly right, the port threads are a bit rough, the threads are a heavy cut, but,
a. it does not matter, there is an 0 ring seal that works 100%.
b. The general machining is beautiful.
c. I have never seen or heard of a stiff V4.
d. I did have a V9 prototype at Osh in 2017 that went stiff when one of the bearings seized during excessive dry operation. That has been addressed and cured. V9 is on the market.

Having 1/2" step in the fuel flow through the valve is zero issue whether gravity fed or pumped- just nonsence.

Other comments;

I selected the 4-way non-conforming SPRL valve on my personal customized Sportsman, N11YM with over over 300 hours use by 7/11/16. For you kit aircraft builders that want excellent quality with attractive pricing, I believe Robins valve is the best bang for the buck on the market.
Ted Setzer
Manager, Development
Glasair Aviation, USA

by Todd S
11/23/2017

High quality valve, has positive stops at each location. Easy to install

Robin,

Coming into such a forum and digging up all of the old posts just to say you?re a big fan (and work for them) is poor etiquette.

With that being said, I purchased one for a project and have been pleased with it as far as initial quality and machining. Time will tell it it can stand the test of time. However for the price difference from the leading valve supplier, it was worth the chance for me.

Newton products

I have been a customer of Robin's since 1999. We bought a 'better fuel cap' when developing the F1 series, and Robin's parts seemed better. I guess I was right - no returns or complaints since the 1999 kick-off.

I think Van's now sells Robin's part as options?

I bought one of his valves for my new project - simply because his stuff is top shelf. I needed a return line to each tank, and his part took care of that problem.

BTW Robin owns the place - he is not simply a fan.

Just wanted to throw this in.
I had an opportunity to see and play with a Newton V4 valve on Friday. This was 1000% better than the one I saw at Osh a few years ago. MUCH smoother, MUCH better port machining. And yes, it was potentially going in a RV10.
Some things to figure out to see how much change we'd have to do in our plumbing, but I think the client is going to use it.

Tom

correction

OOPs it was a V9 valve! Still was impressed by the changes from what I saw back in Osh a few years ago.
NOT going to bash a vendor, but the more common duplex valve used by most of us, is an 8 week + lead time from the vendor. In comparison between the 2 valves, the V9 exits out the back, whereas the other valve exits to the sides, usually requiring their screw on 90* elbows at an additional expensive cost. The V9 uses NPT/NPS ports so common NPT fittings can be used. We did a rough mockup in a RV10 on Friday, and all will seem to work with our duplex hose package. Yes, and valve extension is needed for the RV10 since the mounting plate is lower in the tunnel.

This 'may' be an alternative for some of you.

Tom

Back