What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inverted brake fluid reservoir

Stewbronco

Well Known Member
Any recommendations on inverted brake fluid reservoir on RV4 ? Thanks. Stew pictures are worth a thousand words 👍

Any recommendations on inverted brake fluid reservoir on RV4 ? Thanks. Stew pictures are worth a thousand words 👍

Replace the plug with a fitting and run a vent line to below the reservoir, exiting the cowling. You could also install a check valve at the top of the reservoir instead or in addition to the vent line.

I have had success using a PVC valve. Cut the flared end off and then thread to match the reservoir. It acts a check valve.

Use a solid plastic plug in the reservoir, I've never found a vent that didn't leak during acro, esp rolling circles! Be aware that the brakes will feel soft at some point, take the plug out and let some air in. Brakes will feel fine again. Needs to be done 2 or 3 times before the pads are worn out.
Pete

Reservoir Dog

+1

Works great. Never a drop, but I don't do rolling circles in my RV-7. Just the usual Sportsman stuff.

Merrill

Fill the reservoir 2/3 full and plug the vent hole. There is enough air in the top of the reservoir to allow fluid to flow as required.

Perfect ... this was what I was looking for just couldn't remember the name. Many thanks. Stew

I use these on my smoke tank and my brake reservoir, spend lots of time inverted and not a single drop of oil has ever come out! Work amazing.

I used a reservoir for a hot-rod. It has an automotive-style diaphragm seal under the cap. I did mine this way since I am using DOT4, but it would serve the purpose for inverted flight as well. Looks nice too.

FP14042012A0004T.jpg

Fill the reservoir 2/3 full and plug the vent hole. There is enough air in the top of the reservoir to allow fluid to flow as required.

+1

There are complex solutions to simple problems or simple solutions to simple problems. This is the simple solution to a simple problem.

Oliver

Back