VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   Safety (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Does Your Airplane Have a Fire Extinguisher? (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=180420)

Fasteagle 03-14-2020 09:58 AM

Extinguisher

Gents,

I have received several pm inquiries regarding Proteng Fire Extinguishing systems since my initial post. The main question is the temp of 194 degrees. The 194 degree temp is a resistance temperature. Average activation temp is OVER 300 degrees, hence my 350 deg post earlier.
The price is determined by the foot and by chemical mixture, depending on where you want it. If it helps for referencing, for the application on my F1 I will run a loop from mid cowl up around the top to the other side mid cowl. Also, for pricing the average RV-6 application will run $699.
The folks at Proteng are currently on the road headed to Southern California for presentations and will gladly meet with EAA chapters or interested individuals for product presentations.
Give Nichole a call at: 561-776-8364 for additional information or providing a free product presentation.

JonJay 03-14-2020 12:04 PM

Might be good to start a dedicated thread on this technology. Sounds great for a fire in an enclosed area, per their description, but this won?t help in an ?in the air? fire unless it is identified quickly and the source of fuel (fuel or oil) can be shut down, like right now.
There is a lot of air flowing through the system in flight. I worry it would just blow the chemical away from the source of ignition.

I carry fire extinguishers but am convinced it is for ground fires. The most common RV fire is a wheel pant. Most RV accidents with a post crash fire, the occupants where already dead. There are too few examples of inflight fires to gage how effective an extinguisher might be, of any type. Lots of previous discussions on that with conflicting opinions.

Let?s flesh this one out.

RVStudent 03-14-2020 01:11 PM

Get the A out of ABC

Our T hangars and Large hangars have gone to BC fire extinguishers. I believe that eliminates the the corrosion but you have obviously lost your paper and wood fire fighting.
Many of the BC extinguishers also have the dry chemical 'purple K' added for more effectiveness. The disadvantage of purple K is a dry residue that must be vacuumed after use. Do NOT use water to rinse it off as it becomes a mess.

Capt 03-15-2020 03:50 AM

I have a fire extinguisher in my 8. It's there NOT for the above outcome it's for use in-flight especially for an electrical issue. That plus an escape survival tool, both very important!

rv8ch 03-15-2020 03:54 AM

fire extinguisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt (Post 1414658)
I have a fire extinguisher in my 8. ...

Hi Capt, what kind/size and how did you mount it?

JonJay 03-15-2020 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt (Post 1414658)
I have a fire extinguisher in my 8. It's there NOT for the above outcome it's for use in-flight especially for an electrical issue. That plus an escape survival tool, both very important!

There have been lots of reports of "puffs" or smell of smoke due to an electrical issue. Hopefully you have used Tefzel wiring, non-flammable or flame sustaining insulation, and by all means, shut your Master off.
After that, what's burning? If there is stuff in or under your panel that can sustain a flame and keep burning, figure it out and redesign your systems or materials.

There is also discussion about what happens in a small enclosed cockpit when you fire the extinguisher off. Not sure I want to be the test monkey for that.
Regardless, how do you know where the fire is? Are you just going to point it under the panel and hope?

Rather than restart this discussion again, I suggest folks go back and search the archives as all this has been discussed many times. I think you will find a lot of answers, discussions, and never ending debates. But to me, I can't find a scenario that makes sense to use it in the air.

By the way, I carry a Halon. One in the RV, and One for each cockpit in the Biplane. It makes me feel better but I am not sure why.....

turbo 03-15-2020 08:47 AM

actually my plane has its second unit in it. the first one put out a fire in the air box. thank you, ill always have one on board. :)

JonJay 03-15-2020 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo (Post 1414696)
actually my plane has its second unit in it. the first one put out a fire in the air box. thank you, ill always have one on board. :)

Thanks Turbo. That and a brake fire seem to be the two most common real world scenarios.
Both ground fires. Still waiting to hear from the first inflight fire in an RV successfully put out by an extinguisher. I want to know the scenario and how it was done. I think they are so rare, we haven't had any real exposure.

romaja 03-15-2020 10:00 AM

Article on Homebuilt fires

Surprising how low of a percentage inflight fires were in this article:

https://www.kitplanes.com/homebuilt-...2020%2F02%2F25