What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spar Primer

Jskyking

Well Known Member
Getting ready to begin my spars and CH 13 mentions priming the countersink holes.
I was planning on applying using a small amount of primer and a q tip. At this time, I don?t want to purchase a gallon of primer and prefer to use a rattle can.

Is there a brand that works? Eventually, I plan on using SWP60G2.
Thanks
Jt

Rattle can

Getting ready to begin my spars and CH 13 mentions priming the countersink holes.
I was planning on applying using a small amount of primer and a q tip. At this time, I don?t want to purchase a gallon of primer and prefer to use a rattle can.

Is there a brand that works? Eventually, I plan on using SWP60G2.
Thanks
Jt

For those tiny jobs I use NAPA 7220. SEM is also good. Spray into a cup and use a q-tip.

spraying SEM

I used SEM #39683, which has a nice fan spray nozzle and is self-etching. However, instead of applying primer to each hole one at a time (there are a couple hundred per spar), I masked with a line of painter's tape down each side of the spar, and sprayed two light coats over all the holes.

Alodine (Bonderite) pen worked well for me. The conversion coating on the countersink and the cad plate on the screws should give all the protection you will need.

Back