What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 fastback advice please!

nzrv8

Well Known Member
I know this has been discussed in previous posts, but I'm chasing the most current opinions so I can make my decision.

Questions:

1 - Does anyone make a fastback slider kit anymore?

2 - Regarding the Showplanes tip-over kit - Would those of you that have done this conversion consider it a straightfoward task? I have a QB fuselage and I understand there is a bit of disassembly involved - New cockpit rails etc.

3 - Fastback conversion time vs standard Vans canopy build time?

Thanks!

Hugh

1. I don't think so.

2. The showplanes kit is great! Shouldn't be to bad to convert.

3. It's definately more time, but I think it's worth the extra time.

I have a showplanes fastback that I converted to a slider. I used the standard vans slider components except I needed to fabricate a new insert for the turtle deck. The canopy was a different story. I used the forward steel bow off of a vans canopy frame and made the rest of the frame out of composites. I have some pics of the canopy and turtle deck at:

http://www.facebook.com/radialconversions

I hope this helps,

Brian

Hugh, I am working on the standard Show Planes tip over now. The kit is very complete and straight forward. I can only really answer your second question though. There has been some dissassembly but it was very simple. The cockpit rail dissassembly took about an hour to complete. I drilled off the rivet heads only, then popped the rails off and lightly punched the rivet shafts out of the holes. Use an undersized bit for the rivet head removal and be sure you in the center of the rivet. I prepunched all the rivet heads with an auto center punch to get a good divot. he helped me prevent wormholing the bit. I also have a small Souix palm dirll that has very precise speed control, which also helped.

The hardest part for me was step one - cutting up your newly built vertical stabilizer! Once you make that cut, the rest is easy.

Robert

I haven't been able to find anything answering this in the forums or on the Showplanes site...

How is the rear cargo area accessed with their fastback mod?

It looks like the rear seat back should tip forward or be removable; if that's the case, can anyone comment on what it's like to live with? Is it hard to access?

Thanks,
Mike

Todd's Canopies

Sadly it is my understanding (via the Todd's Canopies Facebook page) that Todd of Todd's canopies passed away recently as a result of a plane crash.

Fastback options

I really like the fastback look, but I think the showplanes setups that I saw don?t quite do it for me. I would want a straight line from canopy back to the aluminum. The showplanes that I?ve seen still have the bubble look. The only version that looks right to me is the Rocket setup. Who else makes a fastback version? Or can the showplanes setup be cut down to achieve the straight line that I?m looking for?

Sadly it is my understanding (via the Todd's Canopies Facebook page) that Todd of Todd's canopies passed away recently as a result of a plane crash.

AeroCanopy now makes and sells that line. I bought the RV-3B canopy and am thoroughly satisfied with both the transaction and the canopy itself. Look for my review in the Reviews section.

Dave
RV-3B now on the fuselage

Back