What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Steinair vs Approach fast stack

Two different approaches. Steinair do the “classic” wiring from connector to connector between the units. While FastStack using a central hub, i.e. wiring from each unit connectors to a hub. I do not think Power connections or CAN wiring is included in the FastStack ready made harnesses l, those have to be wired up separately.

The Advanced Fast Stack Hub is an innovative idea and I have a done a few. However, with all the variables and different configurations between manufacturers of avionics it is pert near impossible to configure the hub for every combination. The Hub has a configuration harness that helps sort out standard interconnects but there are always a few items that bypass the Hub out of practicality. The Fast Stack pre-made harnesses have connectors that are impossible to modify in the field without destroying them (like if you want to add a pin somewhere). So that and the Hub bypassing can cause the Hub concept to come up short. Not knocking the innovative concept here. Just understand there are certain limitations. If you go Hub, you need to stay Hub. Personally I find the Hub too limiting for my purposes unless it is a simple one-off install where nothing will change.

However, the same company that makes the Approach Hub (Park Rapids) will also do conventional harnessing. They do a great job of it. Similar to Stein.

So in the end I prefer traditional wiring. And while I prefer Stein, I wouldn't shy away from Park Rapids if there were schedule or cost issues.
Jim

Last edited:
It may depend on the avionics.

It depends on the avionics you are putting in I think. I had a wiring harness made by Approach. It was for a full G3x Touch system with a 750. For this, they did point to point. No stack in the middle. This was for a Glasair so they needed me to identify measurement/locations for the remote boxes and such on the harness trunk they provided. Price was good. Support is good (Tim seems to pick up his phone anytime I call). No complaints. Would do it again.

I would also recommend calling Aerotronics. Ive been very impressed with their products and customer support. Custom made whatever you want.

Harness

Approach does custom work as well. I had them do a G900X harness customized to my installation in my -10. Everything worked the first time I threw the master. That is saying something as the 900 harness is huge. They were very quick to answer any of my questions when I was configuring the LRU's too.

The Approach hub is an awesome way to go if the avionics bus supports it. Unfortunately it is not a workable solution for the CAN bus, i.e. garmin

A big advantage of the hub is that any feature changes/addition is only a cable to the hub which in case of a point to point harness, it is extremely difficult.

Having said that, Approach harness/service is of a highest quality and professionalism and in my experience it is not a nickel and dim type service.

We used Approach on our RV7 back in 2009.

Super professional, long chat at Sun n Fun prior to dealing with them.

Subsequently wanted to add in HS34 to the Dynon fit, sent the hub back, they reconfigured and supplied the extra cable within a very short time.

Agree that the modern installs seem to be going in a different ditection, but look at the RV12 - basically a very similar install as per Approach.

Back