What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

E-LSA , Sport pilot license workload and FAA approval

NinerBikes

Well Known Member
Mention has been made that the FAA might include heavier weight limits than 1320# for Sport pilot license class. One of the limitations, both to the RV-12 and all E-LSA is ground adjustable only variable pitch propellers.

There are devices that would make the RV-12 with just the throttle alone, a variable pitch in flight capable plane with the 912iS and this feature.

https://www.stockflightsystems.com/tl_files/downloads/emu912is/SFS_MT_Presentation.pdf

Is there any indication on the horizon that either Van's, would this be possible in an E AB or E-LSA after being FAA approved with an in flight variable pitched prop controlled by only one knob, that would lessen the pilots work load and still maintain the Sport pilot license category classification?

I ask, because the RV-12 is most likely the best selling E-LSA, with the most amount of them completed and in the air, flying. I consider them leaders in the field of E-LSA kit planes.

Single Lever Power

Very interesting system. I wonder if the components would bolt right up. I believe this could be used on the E-AB but not legal on the E-LSA without a change in the regs by the FAA

Pretty cool system. It would be interesting to see the net change in weight and cg to include the recommended propeller.

Back