What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-1 At Stanley N.S. this weekend.

Paul Tuttle

Well Known Member
I see the RV-1 is headed north as we speak. It's scheduled to visit Stanley N.S. tomorrow or Sunday. I'll be there for the weekend with my camera and laptop in hand and will post some pictures of the visit. The weather report calls for clear skies for the weekend, hopefully we get a good turnout.:)

The weather came together perfectly yesterday, so we pulled the trigger on the move to Canada. Mark Richardson flew me to Bangor in his RV-8. Bob DiMeo flew the aircraft to Bangor, ME, and handed it over to me. Thanks Bob for all your work (and money) getting the tach cable replaced in record time.

Customs both coming into the US and back into Canada was the simplist I have ever seen it. The US Customs guy in Bangor looked at our passports for about 5 sec each, and that was it. I expected to have some explaining to do with Canada Customs, as the RV-1 thing is a bit out of the ordinary. I gave the Customs lady the whole story on the phone when I called before leaving Bangor, and they gave us clearance over the phone. They never came out to the airport at all. Mind you, Mark and I are both members of the CanPass program, which is the best $40 I ever spent, as it allows us to fly straight to Smiths Falls from the US without stopping at some other place to clear Customs. Customs reserves the right to meet you at the airport, but they almost never do.

We were met in St. Stephen, NB by several RVers, including Ross Keirstead and Don Bertelsen who took control of the aircraft.

Here you see, from left to right, Ross Keirstead, Mark Richardson, Don Bertelsen and myself.

Ross and Don took the aircraft to Sussex, NB, where it stayed in Ross's hangar. The weather looks perfect for the flight to Stanley this morning, then back to Sussex this afternoon. They'll repeat the process for Sunday. Then we'll start watching the weather to bring the bird west to Windsor for the event on the 26th.

Thanks to everyone who has helped make this all possible.

I see the RV-1 Spot tracker has come alive again in Sussex, NB. The RV-1 should be on its way to Stanley shortly.

RV-1 was indeed at Stanley when we arrived this morning. I found there was a large gathering there today including Kevin's father , Sonny. Great weather.
Ron

The RV-1 made it safely back to Sussex, NB. Ross and Don intend to bring it back to Stanley Sunday AM for Day 2 of the Victoria Day weekend Fly-In Breakfast. There will be a viewing opportunity in Sussex late Sunday afternoon for the NB folks who couldn't make it to Stanley.

Photos from Stanley N.S.

fantastic day here at Stanley!

RV-1 pilot Don Bertleson 79 years young :)

025wq.jpg

The RV-1 painting I did. I did it before I knew it was coming to Stanley... Honest.

037zv.jpg

Sonny Horton, Kevin's Dad :)

066vaj.jpg

049hb.jpg

I'll send along a few more after tomorrow's vist.

more photos

View from my front window at Stanley. How good is that.:D

030an.jpg

Dick's signature is starting to fade.

083ki.jpg

086qe.jpg

Don and Ross, the RV-1 pilots for this leg of the tour.

081ehk.jpg

More shameless self promotion. :) Paul Dye, How about that vent on the canopy. :D ;) :D

044wn.jpg

Great shots Paul - thanks for letting us all share in the weekend!

Hey, didn't we add that vent to match the painting?! ;)

can't believe i will miss the rv-1

I just saw tonight that the rv1 is in NB. I am at 40 min from sussex. It'S the baptism of my second baby tomorrow. So if i want to live to fly again, i think i must forget the rv1.

Have a safe flight and have fun in atlantic canada.

just in case, at what time they plan to be back in sussex tomorrow?

Lan Vinh Do

Back