What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Boost pump running continuously

svyolo

Well Known Member
I saw a couple responses to running boost pumps (EFII, Andair, AFM) continuously. I saw a couple pros and cons of running them continuously, vs turning them on and off.

External fuel pumps do run warm. If you run them continuously, will the bypassed and returning fuel gradually warm up, and cause the pump to get hot? Sort of a slow motion thermal runaway? Or at least till the pump gets hot enough to radiate/conduct/convect enough heat to reach equilibrium?

Efii

The EFII system is a full flow return setup; when the pump is on, fuel is drawn from the tank, pumped through the fuel rail and regulator, then back to the tank. I doubt pump heating would be an issue as the pump has a large supply of fuel to cycle...it does not recirculate within the pump...

Bob;
I understand that about EFII EFI fuel injection. But they sell a boost pump setup for Bendix style mechanical FI. It has a bypass when it is off so fuel goes straight to the engine driven fuel pump, but pumps fuel to the engine driven pump, and recirculates excess fuel from the outlet, back to the inlet, when the boost pump is selected on.

Just wondering if the pump would overheat if left on continuously. The pumps run warm, and if they impart heat to the fuel, and the fuel is returned back to the pump, will the pump keep getting hotter. At idle or close, almost all the fuel is returned.

Bob;
I understand that about EFII EFI fuel injection. But they sell a boost pump setup for Bendix style mechanical FI. It has a bypass when it is off so fuel goes straight to the engine driven fuel pump, but pumps fuel to the engine driven pump, and recirculates excess fuel from the outlet, back to the inlet, when the boost pump is selected on.

Just wondering if the pump would overheat if left on continuously. The pumps run warm, and if they impart heat to the fuel, and the fuel is returned back to the pump, will the pump keep getting hotter. At idle or close, almost all the fuel is returned.

I did not see that you were referring to the mechanical FI...

Back