What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HI temp Mil-H-83232 hydraulic fluid

scsmith

Well Known Member
After reading some old threads on the subject, I am going to switch over to the higher-temperature hydraulic fluid, Mil-H-83232 (Royco 782).

I am replacing the O-rings in the brake calipers with Viton O-rings, Mil-R-83248-218.

Is there any reason to be concerned that the new hydraulic fluid might not be compatible with the rubber parts in my master cylinders? It is supposedly compatible with Mil-H-5606, even mixable. So I'm not planning to do anything other than drain the system and re-fill.

I switched to 782 from 5606 in both brakes and gear. Brakes were simply drained and refilled; gear was mixed. Have experienced no issues whatsoever after years of use.

Mobil 1 synthetic ATF that you can get at Walmart or any parts store has a higher flash point than Royco 782.

After reading some old threads on the subject, I am going to switch over to the higher-temperature hydraulic fluid, Mil-H-83232 (Royco 782).

I am replacing the O-rings in the brake calipers with Viton O-rings, Mil-R-83248-218.

Is there any reason to be concerned that the new hydraulic fluid might not be compatible with the rubber parts in my master cylinders? It is supposedly compatible with Mil-H-5606, even mixable. So I'm not planning to do anything other than drain the system and re-fill.

Been using it for about 10-years. I have had no issues when I did the same thing you are doing. Have used my MIL-H-83232 on several other airplanes and they were done the same way.

Curious, why the changeover?

George

The primary reason is higher flash point, and self-extinguishing properties. I tend to brake firmly - I try to make every landing stopped in under 1000 ft.

Every now and then you hear of a brake fire.

Matco brakes?

If you have Matco components, reach out to George Happ (also an Aero type) - owner of Matco. [email protected]

I asked him that question back in 2017 and he answered "Royco 782 is a version of Mil-H-83282 which is a high flashpoint aircraft hydraulic fluid that is compatible with the Buna nitrile seals we use."

Van's says the same thing on their web store - "Royco 782 is a synthetic fire resistant hydraulic fluid compatible with the seals in the kit brake components."

Mobil 1 synthetic ATF that you can get at Walmart or any parts store has a higher flash point than Royco 782.

^^^^ +1

12 years so far with standard components. No issues.

(as a side note, I was thinking the built-in fire extinguishing thread should focus the nozzles on the brakes rather than the engine!)

I too went with a synthetic ATF fluid ... except I chose Amsoil multi-vehicle synthetic ATF because it has a slightly higher flash point of 453?. Have been using it for three years ... without any issues so far.

One nice thing is if I have any issues when away from home that requires adding fluid, Mobil 1 synthetic ATF can be added without causing any compatibility issues .... and it is available most everywhere.

Happy flying,

Looking up flash points for the two,
Mobil one: 420f
Royco: 450f

Close but doesn't appear to be greater.

Where do you see the 204C for 782? The operating temp range is from -40°C to 205°C. The safety data sheet (dated 2015 from link on website) says flash point of 232C. Then there is this reference https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwiHnIzIlPfmAhVWrZ4KHS2oDWUQFjABegQIBBAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fadd.lanxess.com%2Ffileadmin%2Fproduct-import%2FROYCO%2520782.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3FymGlQlEbuDoGi2766Kjsthat says the flash point is 218C. Man is there no consistency for this product? I'll be doing my brakes soon and am following this thread with interest.

Last edited:
Regardless of the exact numbers, the spread between the two seems insignificant. I like the availability of the Mobil one. I like the known compatibility of the royco better.

Regardless of the exact numbers, the spread between the two seems insignificant. I like the availability of the Mobil one. I like the known compatibility of the royco better.

Yes, a key thing for me is the compatibility with 5606. If you are out "on the road" - meaning at an airport somewhere, it is pretty certain that they will have 5606 on the field.

Also, for brake systems already in service, being able to just drain the existing fluid out and fill back up with the new is great. If you are putting your system together new for the first time and it has never had any fluid in it, then it sounds like the synthetic ATF would be a good choice too. The flash points are close enough not to matter. The key is that they are double the flash point of 5606.

And although all these options are compatible with buna-N (Nitrile) O-rings, it doesn't help the caliper much to have the O-ring fail at 250F, so you should put Viton O-rings in the calipers. It is nice not to have to overhaul the master cylinders though.

Per Mil-H-83282, the minimum flash point temp is 205c and the minimum fire temp is 245c. The fluid is also self extinguishing when the heat source is removed. Per the spec, it is compatible with the same seal materials as 5606.

Mil-H-83282 was developed as a direct replacement for 5606 without purging the system of the 5606, and the characteristics of the mixed fluids are a compromise between the 2 depending on the mix ratio. So mixing a little of the Mil-H-83282 with 5606 gains very little, whereas, having a little 5606 left in the system mixing with the Mil-H-83282 has little detrimental effect.

Since the temps are minimums, various manufacturers can make qualifying fluids with higher temps.

I studied these fluids As part of an engineering study when the Army was transitioning their helicopters.

Another option

Where do you see the 204C for 782? The operating temp range is from -40?C to 205?C. The safety data sheet (dated 2015 from link on website) says flash point of 232C. Then there is this reference https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwiHnIzIlPfmAhVWrZ4KHS2oDWUQFjABegQIBBAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fadd.lanxess.com%2Ffileadmin%2Fproduct-import%2FROYCO%2520782.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3FymGlQlEbuDoGi2766Kjsthat says the flash point is 218C. Man is there no consistency for this product? I'll be doing my brakes soon and am following this thread with interest.

Carlos,
I'd say that the 218 C flash point for the Royco 782 is correct. The Sky Geek site lists the flash point as 218 C. The PDS linked to that site [which claims the higher flash point] is version 1, dated 2015. The PDS link you provided is dated 2016, so is more up to date info.

Bob,
The Mobil 1 ATF PDS states that it meets or exceeds the specs for Mercon V.

The Flash point for Dexron VI is only 205 C, per

https://www.acdelco.com.au/pdf/specifications/acdelco_specs_dexronVI.pdf

so the Mercon V & Mobil 1 is better.

I wonder if the high end products like Royal Purple, Amsoil, Redline Racing ATF, etc have higher flash points for their synthetic ATF products?

I just found the flash point info for all of Redline's ATFs. Their D6 fluid has a flash point of 249 C per

https://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/ATF%20PDS%201-10.pdf

It's priced comparable to the Royco fluid.

Charlie

While the flashpoints for the listed ATF fluid is slightly higher, they are not self extinguishing like the fluids qualified to Mil-H-83282 are. The self extinguishing part is important in that once the heat source cools (brake disc), the oil stops burning.

GUYS!

You're overthinking this.

ATF works perfectly, wont catch on fire, like 5606 does. Have your wife pick you up some. :)

While the flashpoints for the listed ATF fluid is slightly higher, they are not self extinguishing like the fluids qualified to Mil-H-83282 are. The self extinguishing part is important in that once the heat source cools (brake disc), the oil stops burning.

The problem is that it doesn't extinguish the burning tire and wheel fairing.

Bob - when switching to Mobil 1 does the system need to be drained and flushed? If so how is the system flushed?

I tend to brake firmly - I try to make every landing stopped in under 1000 ft.

I?ll bite, why?
I try to make every landing appropriate for the conditions required and try to not use my brakes if I don?t need to, or use them gently as possible. I get plenty of practice with short fields as I live on one, so 1000? is no problem but.....
Old tail dragger hold over perhaps, but I just put my third set of pads on at 800 hours. 400 hours a set, mo betta.

Back