What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best route across southern rockies?

charosenz

Well Known Member
I am a fairly low time pilot (230 hours) and I plan to fly my RV6A from Washington State to Ky.

Since it might be in the early part of winter, I plant to fly south and cross in the southern part of the Rockies.

I would like to hear from folks who have done this and of course, learn some ideas on the best route to take. I know the work "best" route is a bit vague so let me say that for me, this would mean low altitude, generous amount of airports along the way and avoiding class B airspace.

I have looked at this a bit in foreflight and right now I am looking at southbound from WA to just north of Las Vegas and then east towards Sante Fe then on to KY.

Suggestions are welcome.

southern route

Here is a screen shot of the route I am looking at with foreflight.

Attachments

• southern route screen shot 600px.jpg
    southern route screen shot 600px.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 478
Here is a screen shot of the route I am looking at with foreflight.
I would stay west of the Sierras to Bakersfield, then east over Tehachapi, south of Edwards complex to Laughlin, and then follow I-40.
The most challenging terrain will be Williams to Sandia mtns, (just east of ABQ).

Last edited:
My brother & I flew out to Pocatello, ID from OKC a couple of weeks ago. We flew his RV9A out there and bought a Rans S6S Coyote II. He flew his RV home and I flew the S6 back. We never had to fly any higher than 9500' and never HAD to talk to any ATC, we could "skirt" any B or C airspaces we got close to.

We flew out I40 to Moriarty, NM, (fuel stop) North to Bluff, UT then NE to Cal Black, UT (fuel). Went north from there to I70, followed I70 through the pass to Salina. At Salina, we followed I-15 North to Spanish Forks, UT (Fuel). When we left Spanish Forks, we flew through the Provo Pass to Heber City, then just skirted the SLC Bravo inside the class C veil VIA Coalville, Devils Slide, then to Brigham City, Logan, in to Pocatello. We followed this same route home. It worked very well.

We stayed on the east side of SLC because of the massive restricted areas on the west side.

I flew my RV-4 from Oroville to South Texas around this time last year. I basically followed I90 until I was clear of the mountains.

If you cross further south you can follow I10.

Northern route.

If you have good weather, follow I-90 through Montana. Probably much shorter that way too. I ferried a Cherokee from AL to OR last year on that route and it was easy.

Just like the heavy jets circumnavigating CB's at high altitude, everyone else had the same idea is on the same route!

Lights on, eyes out I say

As others have said, keep eye on weather for both northern and southern route.

Have gone round trip from Los Angeles to Pittsburgh PA more times than I can count in the last 23-years.

Fly early in the day. Stop early so you can get a room for the night while it is still daylight.

I have done both north and south. I like south better because there are more airports, lower fuel prices, and more places to land off airport. Over or near I-40 is what I recommend.

Most of my trips have been KCCB, KSJN, KBGD and RON. (RON = Remain Over Night) SJN and BGD has reasonable fuel prices and crosswind runways.

Another route to consider is I80 from SLC, Rock springs, Cheyenne, then turn for Kentucky. . There is a nice straight road under you at all times. I80 is fairly straight. I 70 is twisty.. like others said, it's depends on the winds and weather.

Even in the heart of winter, the course you mapped across the northern Sierra/Southern Cascades works really well. It is a broad plateau with nothing very high at all, lots of big meadows. Fly the leg from Fall River Mills to Susanville.

The Tehachapi route is good too, but a much bigger detour.

Once east of the Sierra, an alternative to the dogleg out to Battle Mountain would be to follow 395 down to Mojave, to Barstow, then follow I-40. It is a bit farther, but a lot less time out over lonely desert.

Last edited:
Option B is a route along the Easter San Joaquin valley to Shafter/Bakersfield, Palmdale, Bullhead, then across. Keeps you lower altitudes and out of a lot of mountain area. Lots of places to divert to if weather suddenly changes on you.

Route

If you are starting in WA, fly the Columbia R Gorge from Troutdale to the Dalles.
It is beautiful. That puts you in E. Or. within easy traveling and good stops into Nevada south to S Utah, AZ & NM. From there you are in the plains & low country. This route takes the Sierras and S Rockies out of play. Just be ready to deal with weather issues, especially in NM & W Texas. The cloud decks tend to stack up against the stepping down terrain between Albuquerque and Denton Tx.
Enjoy your flight ! It sounds like a great adventure!

Flew an RV12 from Oregon to Indiana. If you can find a good path to Boise, the route through Pocatello and down through central Wyoming is easy. Of course it all depends on the weather and winds. Take your time and change up if weather dictates. BTW, New Mexico always beats the **** out of me every time I go that way.

Back