What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

best way to fix this dumb mistake?

Jake14

Well Known Member
While working on the flap positioner, running the flaps up, the plug on an extension cord wedged between the flap and upper skin resulting in these dents. Don't really have a way to get inside the flap to push it out, so was wondering if anyone had some repair suggestions?

dxlhcz.jpg

Another recommendation for Paintless dent remover

Amazon search for PDR paintless dent repair tool. I used one on my truck hood and I also pulled some dents out of an insulated steel garage door with one.

Better yet, call an experienced paintless dent repair guy. These guys are experts and can get the ding out in few minutes and will look like new.

While you have it apart, you might want to have a close up look with a magnifier at the flap control arm / torque tube weld joints. I mean a really close up look.

Also the same close up look where the actuator arm joins the torque tube.

PDR on curves....hmmm maybe. Maybe not. Give it a try.

I've got a few dings that rub me raw, but in the end, somethings are better left alone and just suck it up.

Wont affect anything but your pride, and sometimes the less of that the better.

Used PDR on the leading edge of a 12 back a few years ago. Mower hit it while in the wing rack. Worked great - couldn't tell it after painting, and almost no filler. Will admit this guy was a "storm chaser" for the airlines, following hail storms. Did nothing but aircraft, and he was out of Louisville. No contact info or I would pass it on. Very reasonable.

Bob

I ended up rebuilding an aileron that suffered a dent from being blown off the top of the wing when I was installing it (thunderstorm blew up and a gust flipped it off the wing) . It flew fine but before I invested in the paint job, I decided just to re do the whole thing. It would have bothered me forever if I hadn't bit the bullet.

Try and fix it, fly it for awhile and see if you care.

I read about a technique for pulling dents out of old gas tanks. By soldering pennies to the outside and welding rods. Levering then against each other and pulling the dents. Then just desolder the pennies. Work fir aluminum?? Idk

Back