What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying Into San Diego, CA (KMYF)

luv2flypilot

Well Known Member
Was thinking about making a trip down to San Diego sometime in the near future. Been down as far as Fullerton South from the Bay Area, CA but not all the way down to SD yet. Any recommendations on flight plans to get me in and out of Montgomery Field (KMYF) coming from the North? The air space looks a little tricky with Miramar and other airspaces near by, but I am sure someone has a great recommendation to get in and out with ease.

Coastal route works well

I've gone down there along the coast. I'd talk to approach by the time you get to Oceanside (127.3) unless you get it all the way down in the Coliseum route in the LAX Class B. Lots of traffic around the OCN VOR going into Oceanside and Palomar between 2-4000'. Along the coast to La Jolla. They normally have you go over Mt Soledad and over the north half of Mission Bay (both points on TAC) to a south downwind to Montgomery. They've been good to me when I'm not sure of a fix and tell them so. At RV speeds, it all comes fast, even though I grew up there, the points were hard to spot at cruise speed.
It's a beautiful flight and busy along the coast, exp on the weekends.
Gibbs Aviation at Montgomery has tiedowns and has a good reputation there.
A local may have some more insight, but that should be a start.

Seb Trost
RV-7A
Boulder City, NV (KBVU)

Getting into MYF is not too difficult. Assuming you're asking about VFR options, you have two basic choices: coastal or inland. And the choice will likely be dictated by the weather on the coast and how/where you cross the LA airspace.

Coastal is a bit quicker and much prettier, and would be my first choice if weather allows. Basically, take one of the transition routes to get through LAX airspace, and then follow the coast all the way down to San Diego. Note that you can stay clear of most airspace with appropriate choice of altitude, but talking to socal approach is still a very good idea! When you get down to San Diego, you can stay clear of Miramar's class B through the Torrey Pines area at 3,500 ft (sandwiched between Bravo above and below). And Torrey Pines is a good place for your call-up to MYF tower. From there typically they'll bring you in for a left downwind to 28L. Local knowledge: proceed to Mount Soledad at 3,500, then start your descent and fly to the north-east corner of Mission Bay, where you'll turn to the 45 to the left downwind. Familiarize yourself well with this area on the TAC chart, so you don't accidentally clip Bravo. You'll be close to it. But done right, it works great.

The inland route is pretty much just V186 through the LA and Riverside area and into inland San Diego right over interstate 15. You can duck down under the San Diego class B and get a transition through Ramona's class D if you have to, which will set you up for a long straight-in to MYF (call MYF tower over Gillespie Field or Mount Helix). But the easy way is before you get to the class B just to ask socal approach for class B clearance, direct MYF, and they will almost always give it to you. Take you right over top of Miramar and into Montgomery. Socal will hand you off to MYF over Miramar. And MYF tower will either have you enter a right downwind for 28R, or cross midfield and enter a left downwind for 28L.

Very good summary by Roee above.

However, following up on what Seb said about how busy the coastal airspace gets, if you decide to go along the coast I would recommend talking to Socal Approach all the way from north of the LA Class B. Getting traffic advisories all the way is a big help, and this is pretty easy to do.

Consult the Los Angeles TAC and decide on what VFR transition route you want; either the Coliseum Route at 9500' or the Coastal Route at 5500' are best. At 20 miles or so northwest of Van Nuys VNY, call up Socal with your request and specify KMYF as your destination. With any luck, you'll get your LA Class B clearance, and handoffs from Socal Approach sector to sector all the way to KMYF tower.

Either the Coliseum or Coastal transition routes have you exit the LA Class B pointed more or less directly at Mt Soledad, VPSMS on the Sand Diego TAC. Around Oceanside OCN, expect "cleared into the San Diego Class Bravo direct Mt Soledad, descend pilot's discretion". Of course, if you don't get that, ask for it! Pick up KMYF ATIS and tell Socal you have it; but if not, they will typically read it to you. At Mt Soledad, the 119.6 Socal sector will terminate radar services, tell you to stay on your discrete transponder code, and contact Montgomery tower. Expect tower to have you enter left downwind 28L, as Roee said.

Have a great flight!

--Paul

Heading down to San Diego in 3 weeks to pick up my son from Marines boot camp. Any PIREPS on where to park at MYF? I am thinking Gibbs Aviation? Planning to spend about 3 nights there.

We've used Gibbs and also just parked on the municipal ramp when we were going in and out on the same day to just have lunch with family.

Heading down to San Diego in 3 weeks to pick up my son from Marines boot camp. Any PIREPS on where to park at MYF? I am thinking Gibbs Aviation? Planning to spend about 3 nights there.

I'd park at Gibbs. It's a little more secure, not as many planes going in and out. Plus they'll gas you up when you're ready to go. Nice pilots lounge and facilities that'll be 10 feet form your plane.
Coming in on Taxiway Juliet you'll go to the 5th row(I think, I never park in transient), then right and down to the end. There's signs directing you.
Enjoy, It finally cooled off here just today.....

I also prefer going to Gibbs. Just taxi on H and J and then follow the blue line to parking. There's a good Mexican restaurant right across the street from the Gibbs parking lot outside. Pretty run down looking in a little strip mall, but the food is good.

Not sure if you're IFR, but if so, a dirt simple way to make your way south is just to file whatever gets you near LA (not sure what direction you're coming from) and then go SLI V23 MZB KMYF. SOCAL is really easy to work with, and you get to enjoy the coast from Oceanside to San Diego. This is one of those times when an IFR clearance accomplishes the same thing you'd be doing anyway under VFR, but with a fraction of the hassle.

I also prefer going to Gibbs. Just taxi on H and J and then follow the blue line to parking. There's a good Mexican restaurant right across the street from the Gibbs parking lot outside. Pretty run down looking in a little strip mall, but the food is good.

Not sure if you're IFR, but if so, a dirt simple way to make your way south is just to file whatever gets you near LA (not sure what direction you're coming from) and then go SLI V23 MZB KMYF. SOCAL is really easy to work with, and you get to enjoy the coast from Oceanside to San Diego. This is one of those times when an IFR clearance accomplishes the same thing you'd be doing anyway under VFR, but with a fraction of the hassle.

Actually that mexican place got redone and is pretty nice now. Food is great. Walk up to the counter type thing. Of course, there's always Casa Machado over at the terminal. Tradition, reliable, gringo-mex, but a great view.

Flew in last month and used Crownair's crew car (3 hours free) and then drove to Ocean Beach and had a burger at Hodad's. Awesome!

Parked at the municipal transient parking, which is 50 yds from Crownair.

Heinrich

Going to MYF Next Sunday

We'll be flying down to MYF on the 22nd. Is there still transient parking available? We will be staying for a few hours to visit with family.

-Marc

I am surprised...

...that nobody suggested using Oceanside Airport instead of the big places. (Maybe it's closed now? I haven't even looked lately.) We did that from SF Bay Area several years ago, pretty much direct except for the very last part around was it John Wayne and the marine base, and it worked out perfectly. The facility itself was small but friendly and helpful. The only drawback was having to use about 22 different frequencies with Approach as we cruised through controller sectors at RV speeds in the descent. I remember having a bit of delay being worked by departure control leaving there to the southeast a couple of days later, but that was apparently the morning rush hour. Or maybe it's always rush hour in LA...

We'll be flying down to MYF on the 22nd. Is there still transient parking available? We will be staying for a few hours to visit with family.

-Marc

Yep... there's both transient in front of Casa Machado as well as over at Gibbs. Both are cheap. Gibbs get's you some cervices if you need them.

Gibbs is great! We got a rental car from them for a very reasonable price! We flew in from the West and Flight Following took care of us all the way in until just before contacting MYF approach! Just be ready for lots of traffic at MYF.

One additional note.. 28R is much wider than 28L.. 28L is often used for full-stop arrivals, and 28R is generally for closed traffice, but you can get 28R for full-stop if you ask.

Signature FBO

We had an uneventful flight to MYF for breakfast with the Grandson and his fiance. They are getting married this Saturday on a Hornblower boat. As the dock is only a short ride from KSAN I was going to fly into there and use the Signature FBO. I called to make arrangements with Signature and was told that the "Breeders Cup" was happening this weekend so they would be charging a $250 "event fee".

Looks like we will be going to Gibbs at MYF and taking an uber to the wedding.

-Marc

One of our favorite things to do when flying to MYF is taking the crew car (we always use Gibbs) and driving to Torrey Pines Gliderport to watch the hang-gliders/ paragliders/ RC gliders. It's a gorgeous setting and very cool to watch those guys fly. I got so enthusiastic about it that I've decided to start some paragliding lessons myself. Yet another hobby I don't have time for! :D

Brian, we have a saying in Hang Gliding: No frame no brain! Hang Gliders have rigid bones (read a frame) and para gliders maintain their shape by air pressure alone. I flew hang Gliders for 30+ years and never had a "collapse". Check out hang gliding! Duel instructional "rides" can be had at several sites around the L.A. area.
Now back to your regular scheduled thread... ;-)

-Marc

One of our favorite things to do when flying to MYF is taking the crew car (we always use Gibbs) and driving to Torrey Pines Gliderport to watch the hang-gliders/ paragliders/ RC gliders. It's a gorgeous setting and very cool to watch those guys fly. I got so enthusiastic about it that I've decided to start some paragliding lessons myself. Yet another hobby I don't have time for! :D

Marc, do you still hang-glide? We should meet up sometime. Or better yet, fly down there together and hang out. =) Email me so we're not hijacking this thread. LOL

Brian, we have a saying in Hang Gliding: No frame no brain! Hang Gliders have rigid bones (read a frame) and para gliders maintain their shape by air pressure alone. I flew hang Gliders for 30+ years and never had a "collapse". Check out hang gliding! Duel instructional "rides" can be had at several sites around the L.A. area.
Now back to your regular scheduled thread... ;-)

-Marc

Back