What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News 1.21.2024 (w/ Off Topic)

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE:
---------------------------------------
N159LG is a plane! ...rph142
After 26 months of steady building, my collection of aluminum is finally a plane! Adam Valdez performed a thorough and mostly uneventful airworthiness inspection this morning. It was challenging dealing with relentless back orders, price hikes and a few laser cut parts, but in the end it was worth it. Admittedly I build to build and flying is icing on the cake. I’ll be flying it unpainted while I wait for my paint slot at cascade customs. Now for the first flight!
VAFDR_ 94 Jan. 21.jpg

RV-6A Very Slow Build, Western Australia ...PaulvS
The wheel pants have been fitted and the intersection fairings were also made while it was easy to lift the fuselage and align everything in the flying position. I'll make another post with photos of the details. I'm glad to be doing something other than fiberglass next. I don't mind the process too much other than it is very time consuming.
Today I got ready to start working on the engine installation. The shop has been rearranged for better access to the fwd end and I shifted the engine from the store room to the workshop. This is a mid-time O-320 that has been rebuilt a while ago and I need to refresh the fuel pump, carburetor and magnetos.
VAFDR_ 93 Jan. 21.jpg

Upper cowl pic ...Desert Rat
It seemed to me that I could do better than the hole full of scrap foam idea, so instead of the stair step cutout, I cut out out more of the ramp and then laid in some fiberglass to make a concave transition in that area. I then modified the baffling over the governor to mate up with it.
I don't foresee any problems with this but I'm not flying yet so we shall see.
VAFDR_ 95 Jan. 21.jpg

And this issue's Off Topic:
VAFDR_ 96 Jan. 21.jpg

Back