What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-Friendly Avionics Shop

StuBob

Well Known Member
The avionics shop I use for the Skywagon has failed to reply when I sent them a query about RV panel work, so I’m casting a wider net. I’m looking for a shop with enough RV experience that I don’t have to worry about them, say, grabbing the canopy in the wrong place, to do a mild to moderate panel update. I have a G3X Touch, GTN750, GFC500, and some old stuff filling in other holes. I’d like to empty the holes and upgrade safety, meaning: standby AI/ADI, autopilot disconnect switch, heated pitot/AoA (already bought, not installed), and EIS to interface with the G3X. It’s possible that I might need to have a new panel cut, but I’d like to avoid that.

I’m in Indianapolis. The closer to home the better.

Thanks.

Steinair is about 400 miles from Indianapolis, in Fairbault, MN. Exceptionally reliable, super nice people, not just RV-knowledgeable but is RV-enthusiastic. I don't know about pricing, but I'm confident you wouldn't find anyone more knowledgeable or reliable.

Stu, you are making very minor panel modifications. Recommend you try doing them yourself. If need be find a local builder that has done this and have him look over your shoulder.

Cutting a new panel is little more than a new blank from Van’s, time cutting holes then paint.

Carl

Midwest Avionics in Lee's Summit Missouri (Kansas City Metro Area) is extremely RV friendly. They built my avionics bundles and the owner was always very responsive by phone whenever I had an installation or configuration question. Top notch customer support all the way around.

The owner's name is Levi Self. He teaches the homebuilders avionics course that AEA advertises on here a couple of times a year, owns an RV, and used to be a systems engineer for Garmin before he chucked the corporate life and opened up the avionics shop. Some of the oldest posts from G3Xpert on here were from him.

I would absolutely trust him to work on my airplane.

Stu, you are making very minor panel modifications. Recommend you try doing them yourself. If need be find a local builder that has done this and have him look over your shoulder.

Cutting a new panel is little more than a new blank from Van’s, time cutting holes then paint.

Carl
Maybe. I have to admit the autopilot servo swap (one down; one to go) has been a lot easier than I anticipated. And there’s good help within mere yards of my hangar. It’s just intimidating to consider getting everything torn apart and being unable to get it back together.

If you want close to home, you can’t get much closer than Lafayette. Josh sold me all of the Garmin stuff when I built my panel at a great price. Also flys an RV. Delivered a bunch of the stuff to me via his RV!

Brian
RV14A
Valparaiso, IN

Back