What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for anyone with RV-4 for a fit check in NM, AZ, S.CO, W.TX

zaitcev

I became interested in the affordable 2-seat RV recently, but as it happens I'm quite tall and thus cannot fit into a number of low-wing airplanes. For example, in (one time Piper) SportCruiser, even pressing the knees hard against the panel, the tipping canopy still needs 2 more inches to latch.

For that reason, I'm looking for someone who's willing to let me sit in his RV-4.

I can reach about 200 nm from KABQ (flying a rental Cherokee in a day trip), maybe a shade more. The Albuqueruque area would be the best, if anyone can introduce me.

Last edited:
If you haven't found anything closer to home by early Feb, come on down to KCVN--It's about 190nm. You can sit in mine up front and we could try to squeeze you in the back for a quick ride as well. If you're free, Thursday nights are usually a good time as we get together at the big hangar.

Thanks a lot. I've been in Clovis a couple of times for the fly-in that the new airport manager started putting on some time around 2012. I'll PM if nothing comes up.

Jerry D. from Mid-Valley has kindly let me try his RV-4, and I can't fit, hard. Can't lower my posterior into the seat because I have extend the legs to clear his panel attachments. However, he said that he modified the seat. So I'm still looking for confirmation, I suppose.

I'm not wedded to the centerline seating. I think, money wise, I can't swing anything like RV-7 or RV-8, but I saw some RV-9s being sold at reasonable prices.

What is your height/weight zaitcev? Are you inflexible for any reason (injury, etc)? I have had big guys sit in my rv-4 front seat, 6'0" @ 220 lb, 6'4" @ 240 lb, and 6'2" @ 210 lb. They all said it was tight but said they could get used to it! The 6'4" guy I think was being optimistic lol, looked like a bear on a bicycle.

Bit bigger

Jerry D. from Mid-Valley has kindly let me try his RV-4, and I can't fit, hard. Can't lower my posterior into the seat because I have extend the legs to clear his panel attachments. However, he said that he modified the seat. So I'm still looking for confirmation, I suppose.

I'm not wedded to the centerline seating. I think, money wise, I can't swing anything like RV-7 or RV-8, but I saw some RV-9s being sold at reasonable prices.

Jerry is a pretty compact gentleman 😊.
Mine is at kaeg and is set up for me, 6'1" or so.
Let me know if you want to stop by.

I am 6 ft and 180lbs with longer legs and have hundreds of hours in RV-4s and love them. More leg room would be nice but not a problem. If you get to Phoenix and want to try out our front seat, let me know.

Here's the problem in the nutshell:

sonex2.jpg

The aircraft in the picture as a Sonex with the lowered seat mod that belongs to James out of Los-Alamos.

Back