What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is it worth updating an 496?

aajets1

I'm New Here
Patron
Hey all,
Just purchased first RV8. It has a Skyview classic and 496. Just looking at Garmin updates and they are pretty expensive. Is anyone updating the 496? Skyview us updated for free, and I have foreflight as a backup that is really cheap.
Vr
Big Mac

Also: I have to move aircraft from PHX the the DFW area. Looking at the southern route to bypass restricted airspace. Does anyone have any current experience with problem areas that I should be concerned with?
Thanks

I have an OLD 396 that I update at AirVenture OSH every few years. It is just a backup to my IFR navigator and ForeFlight.

I use to be based in SoCAL 10-years ago and would take southern route across the US. CCB - SJN - BGD. That route is not far from I-40.

Have also been south of that CGZ - LRU - EQM - E11.

Typically IWN or SJN was the better route when I was flying east or west.

As they say, “Them mountains haven’t moved in years!”
Mine is just a backup. It’s tied into my EMS and HSI and still does fine showing weather etc….
Foreflight is my primary. So, no, it’s not worth it as long as you have good airspace, frequency’s, etc…. On board, at least for me.

Back