What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

In search of: Lever arm with pinch bolt

scsmith

Well Known Member
I'm looking for a short lever arm that would be used to actuate a butterfly valve, or carb heat, or other control. Something about 2 to 2.5" long, with a pinch bolt that clamps the arm onto a 1/4" diameter shaft. Also looking for a swiveling cable clamp bolt that would be used to fix a control cable to the end of the lever.

I've installed several of these - I think I made the last one myself, and others have come with a device (like a butterfly valve in a short piece of duct).

It doesn't seem like it should be hard to find such a thing, but I am striking out.

Ideas?

I'm looking for a short lever arm that would be used to actuate a butterfly valve, or carb heat, or other control. Something about 2 to 2.5" long, with a pinch bolt that clamps the arm onto a 1/4" diameter shaft. Also looking for a swiveling cable clamp bolt that would be used to fix a control cable to the end of the lever.

I've installed several of these - I think I made the last one myself, and others have come with a device (like a butterfly valve in a short piece of duct).

It doesn't seem like it should be hard to find such a thing, but I am striking out.

Ideas?
Here is the solution for the second part. ACS has them in a few sizes. I didn't know what to call it I guess.

Ideas?
Try Googling "Aluminum drive arm" or "aluminum servo arm".

I used to call those cable end nuts “bug nuts”. Guess that’s not really what they are called, but I still have a couple of them. I just ordered a butterfly valve from TCW for oil cooler air control, and it has a lever action control arm like you describe. When I get it, I’ll see if I can make one. The one pictured is from Spruce. I ordered mine directly from TCW.

Lots of good choices at. “aluminum servo arms”.
Not really. Almost all of those are made to fit on a splined shaft, common on R/C model servos. There seem to be 23, 24, and 25 tooth splines. Since they use a 6mm shaft, I could probably drill it out to 1/4" and just put up with the remnants of the spline. So that would probably be OK. The Uxcell one uses a set screw onto the shaft, but not a clamping action. Still looking.......

Not exactly what you're looking for, but something akin to this? Search for "actuator arm"...

WL-1A300.jpg

BTW, seems like something you could manufacture yourself...machine a piece of Al, drill and tap the end and then slot it, etc.

BTW, seems like something you could manufacture yourself...machine a piece of Al, drill and tap the end and then slot it, etc.
Yes I have made a couple myself. I just don't want to do mass production of a component for the new ram air intake system if I can just source it.

I'm going to try the servo arm as suggested by Scott. The longest one I can find at a reasonable price is 2", I think that will be OK. I think I can drill out the shaft spline to fit a 1/4" shaft, and I think I can drill out the threaded anchor hole to 3/16 to take the "B" nut.

Go search Weber carburetor linkage or similar. Carb linkage kits use a variety of lever arm and bug nuts.

Try this place:

Try this place:

Unfortunately the shaft size is too big (8mm or 5/16") I need 1/4"
I'm going to try the servo arm as suggested by Scott. The longest one I can find at a reasonable price is 2", I think that will be OK. I think I can drill out the shaft spline to fit a 1/4" shaft, and I think I can drill out the threaded anchor hole to 3/16 to take the "B" nut.
Just as a follow up, I ordered a couple of these servo arms. They are WAY too light weight and petite for what we need.
Sigh.
I guess I'll have my waterjet guy cut me out a bunch of blanks and I'll machine them myself.

This might fit your criteria. Found lots of examples by seariching for clamp servo arm.

Attachments

• IMG_1550.png
    IMG_1550.png
    754.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Back