What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much interior paint to order?

DaleB

Well Known Member
I'm working on my fuselage and am wondering how much paint I'll need for the cockpit and baggage compartment. My plan is to prime everything, and top coat the stuff that will be exposed. I'll probably top coat the floor and side panels, even though I plan on carpet. Can anyone tell me how much paint I'll need for an RV-7 interior? I'm thinking Jetflex WR for the interior, can't exactly run down to the local paint store for more.

Dale, I ordered a quart and have used a little more than half (on my 9). I put it on very thin, probably too thin and I'm not 100% complete nor did I cover everything. I did do all interior walls, firewall, and thats about it. I would consider a quart to be the minimum.

A quart should be enough. Skip the firewall though. Leave it bare stainless to prevent noxious fumes in the event it serves its purpose.

Don

Thanks guys! I thought a gallon would be way too much, but didn't know if a quart would be enough. I don't plan to prime or paint the firewall; it's stainless anyway and I don't want to worry about paint burning if there's a fire.

I used Jetflex on all the interior pieces (not the firewall) and used just a few ounces over a quart. I ended up having to order extra to finish. If I hadn't practiced with it, one quart would have finished it but it was my first time using a spray gun. The best place to buy that I could find was Skygeek. Fast shipping and good prices.

IMG_2324.JPG

I used Jetflex on all the interior pieces (not the firewall) and used just a few ounces over a quart. I ended up having to order extra to finish. If I hadn't practiced with it, one quart would have finished it but it was my first time using a spray gun. The best place to buy that I could find was Skygeek. Fast shipping and good prices.

The economics of JetFlex WR pint is interesting if you order it custom color matched.

The Paint is about $80 a qt., and $160 a gallon - plus a $35 or so color matching charge.

Overall, in aviation money terms, the gallon amount won't cost you much more than a quart and you will end up with a lot more than you need...:)

If you buy standard colors, consider a two-tone paint job and buy 1 quart of each color. You will have plenty to finish the job. Since there is no catalyst involved any paint you thin can simply be kept in a jam jar for the next day's application - vey little waste for the JetFlex WR.

Back