What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grounding Point for Refueling RV-10

supik

Well Known Member
What’s a suitable Grounding Point on the RV-10 for refueling?

Exhaust?

Last edited:
Cracking

Pretty much have used the exhaust on most every airplane I've had to fuel for the last 45 years...

I suppose you could use the tie down ring if you were concerned; just don't forget to disconnect it when you are done...

I use a tie down ring simply because it's easier to get to for me. I would have no concerns at all about using the exhaust.

I don't have my tie downs installed for most flights so I use the fuel drain. The reason I use the fuel drain instead of the exhaust is that many ground clamps don't close all the way and won't grip thin metal. The bonus is that you can be sure your fuel tank is grounded when you use the fuel drain.

-Marc

I use exhaust and it always worked well for me. Use of tie down ring is also an option but in my case it is painted with the good sick layer of paint so I doubt about proper electrical contact there.

Last edited:
a line-boy told me that using the exhaust cold lead to cracking. is this true?

Hangar tail.

I use the exhaust pipe all the time. I believe that the exhaust should be replaced at engine overhaul. My first exhaust system went 2,200 hour.

I don't have my tie downs installed for most flights so I use the fuel drain. The reason I use the fuel drain instead of the exhaust is that many ground clamps don't close all the way and won't grip thin metal. The bonus is that you can be sure your fuel tank is grounded when you use the fuel drain.

-Marc

The ground is to dissipate any static that the aircraft has created during flight. So you want to connect to a location that may have a potential source of fuel to create a situation that you are trying to avoid.........:rolleyes:

For the same reason you don't connect the ground jumper to the battery.

The ground is to dissipate any static that the aircraft has created during flight. So you want to connect to a location that may have a potential source of fuel to create a situation that you are trying to avoid.........:rolleyes:

Exactly what I was thinking.
Also
No static wicks on most small planes too.

Use the exhaust, it won’t blow you up.

Boomer

Actually, you ground during fueling because the fuel flowing within the pipe or hose can build up a static charge…

A ground is a ground is a ground. You ground during fueling ops so a static spark won't ignite the fuel through the filler port. If you ground to the exhaust you have exhaust gaskets, motor mounts and other "connections" to the fuel tank that may not be so great.

Yes it seems counterintuitive to ground to the actual tank, but did you ever consider how to ground a composite aircraft for fueling? Look it up.

-Marc

Ground your aircraft the way you want. But understand why you are doing it.

static.JPG

And you are willing to bet there will be no arc during the connection.
The ground to the exhaust is a safe and efficient path to the entire airframe.

Actually, you ground during fueling because the fuel flowing within the pipe or hose can build up a static charge…

One grounds their airplane during refueling to eliminate the difference in charge potential between the airplane and fueling apparatuses. If that difference is great enough, whether due to charge buildup from fuel flowing through the hose or the airplane flying through the air, there can be a spark and therefore a fire.

One grounds their airplane during refueling to eliminate the difference in charge potential between the airplane and fueling apparatuses. If that difference is great enough, whether due to charge buildup from fuel flowing through the hose or the airplane flying through the air, there can be a spark and therefore a fire.

Technically, both reasons are correct; flying through the air can build up a charge AND pumping gas through a hose will build up a charge. In the end, the point is to reduce the static potential and prevent a spark.

a line-boy told me that using the exhaust cold lead to cracking. is this true?

No. Line boy doesn't know what he is talking about. You entire airframe is a ground and passing all sorts of electricity. Following his logic, your plane would have broken to pieces by now.

Cracking.

I think the concern is that if someone makes a scratch in the exhaust stack when yanking off the grounding strap that it could eventually lead to cracking due to thermal cycles. I am no metallurgist but think that thick stainless is not likely to crack but other alloys might. I use the tie down ring as it keeps the bonding wire out of the way of the hose and it is closer to the pump.

Technically, both reasons are correct; flying through the air can build up a charge AND pumping gas through a hose will build up a charge. In the end, the point is to reduce the static potential and prevent a spark.

Correct. It's the potential difference that can cause the spark, and it could either be from plane to the fuel hose or fuel hose to plane, depending on which has the greater charge. Grounding the airplane provides a path for dissipation of that potential difference, therefore no spark at the airplane/fuel hose interface. Theoretically.

I can not understand the thought process that thinks it is a good idea to attach and hang a grounding clamp and wire from the fuel tank sump drain is a good idea.

Back