What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Gippo" overhaul

calpilot

Well Known Member
I ordered a custom "rebuilt" engine for y RV-7 4 years ago from a company that overhauls LYcoming and CONtinental engines. It has been running for 4 years and 527 hours, has had regular 40 hour oil changes with "camguard", it has not been a "sitter"! On November 1 last year, I had a stuck valve, and pulling the cylinder, I found a lot of fine metal inbedded in the piston skirt, and some wear on the cam and lifters. I removed the rod, found striation lines ending at tiny bits of steel embedded in the bearing. I pulled the engine and took it to a local engine shop that has a great reputation. They found a lot of suspect items inside the engine, starting with wear through the surface hardened area of the cam, some pitting on the lifters, idler gear with obvious wear greater than 500 hours, crankshaft drive gear with wear and a few pits, Vacuum drive in poor condition, even though this engine does not use a vacuum drive; basically, they advised me that the engine appears to have been overhauled using "non yellow tagged" parts. This necessated a complete overhaul, so now, 4 months later and $$$$ spent, ( large delays due to parts shortages) I am re-installing the OH engine into my RV-7. The shop that originally produced the engine only warrants experimetal engines for one year! They will not return my calls or emails. Soooo, Buyer Beware!!!!

Back