What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Getting fuselage out of the garage

gkochers

Friend
Can anyone tell me how tall the completed fuselage is, with cabin top, sitting on gear and wheels? I'm slightly concerned about being able to get the completed assembly out the garage door when I'm done. It's on a low fuselage stand now and is no problem, but I don't have a feel for how much the gear is going to raise it.

Not worried about vertical stab, just clearance to cabin top.

Any other anecdotal data points of getting a completed fuselage out of the garage?

Just a WAG but I think it will fit based on the height of these guys.

Attachments

• IMG_1003.jpg
    IMG_1003.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 89
Somewhere on the forum, there is a thread referencing actual sizes. I looked but my search skills failed me. My takeaway from it, as I recall, was the the tail (and therefore canopy) would be fine but I couldn’t mount the horizontal stab as I have a single car sized door.

as an old school drafter (educated in the days of paper on drawing boards) who later became a mechanical engineer working with CAD.... I have a hard time believing that the drawings that come with the kit don't show finished overall dimensions as designed...in detail...on scalable elevation drawings.

but I'm guessing by this discussion that it's not included in the drawings

hmmm... I'm seriously left scratching my head about that one!!!

Cabin top height

Can anyone tell me how tall the completed fuselage is, with cabin top, sitting on gear and wheels? I'm slightly concerned about being able to get the completed assembly out the garage door when I'm done. It's on a low fuselage stand now and is no problem, but I don't have a feel for how much the gear is going to raise it.

Not worried about vertical stab, just clearance to cabin top.

Any other anecdotal data points of getting a completed fuselage out of the garage?

~79.25 inches with engine and prop
~80 inches no engine and prop

Tires properly inflated, good luck

Just a WAG but I think it will fit based on the height of these guys.

Hey, that’s me and the DAR after my airworthiness inspection. And the door is a very large hanger door. No problem getting out.

I got it through my 7' tall garage door without the VS on. If I remember right it had an inch or so clearance.

Thanks

Thank you, folks, for the hard numbers.

Yes, the total height including the VS is shown on the drawings, but that is not the number I needed. You guys came through with real data points - thanks!

I remember Charlie Derk writing a post on his blog about his garage not having the clearance. He ended up using a dolly system to replace the tires and lower it a few inches. Measure and check yours as everyones garage doors, inclines to the door, and other things can vary a bit.

If the canopy clears, build a ramp to raise the nose and lower the Vertical Stab as your nose wheel rises around the main gear in teeter-totter fashion.

I got it through my 7' tall garage door without the VS on. If I remember right it had an inch or so clearance.

Same here... 7' garage door and it just slid under the door. IIRC I did let some are out of the tires to lower the fuse slightly.

Back