What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electroair problem

Rallylancer122

Well Known Member
I've got an electroair 4000 4cyl ignition on one side (mag on the other). Number 2 cylinder wasn't firing at high power (cruise....passes mag check on the ground.) I replaced the plug, and eventually the wire, and that solved it for a few hours. However went flying today and the problem is back. I guess the next thing to check is the coil? Unfortunately my wires aren't long enough to swap cylinders to see if it follows. Is there any other way to test those coils?

I've got an electroair 4000 4cyl ignition on one side (mag on the other). Number 2 cylinder wasn't firing at high power (cruise....passes mag check on the ground.) I replaced the plug, and eventually the wire, and that solved it for a few hours. However went flying today and the problem is back. I guess the next thing to check is the coil? Unfortunately my wires aren't long enough to swap cylinders to see if it follows. Is there any other way to test those coils?
Have you contacted Electroair? The older coils are from a company called Electromotive and they have a manual you can download. I think the coils can be checked for resistance and the values are published in the manual. The latest version is the EIS-41000 so not sure this one uses Electromotive coils. Might be worth a call to discuss with Electroair: 248-674-3433

Have you contacted Electroair? The older coils are from a company called Electromotive and they have a manual you can download. I think the coils can be checked for resistance and the values are published in the manual. The latest version is the EIS-41000 so not sure this one uses Electromotive coils. Might be worth a call to discuss with Electroair: 248-674-3433
I had a half coil failure on a early Jeff Roes version. The failure was initially intermittent.

Just to close this one out, I was able to extend my lead with a small engine spark tester (no, I didn't fly it that way!) and when I swapped leads the problem followed, pointing to the coil. Replaced the coil and so far so good. EGT's are down about 50deg across the board, so I think it was time regardless.

Back