What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Converting Manual to Electric Pitch Trim

flyeyes

Well Known Member
A friend of mine recently bought a beautiful RV-6, but wishes to convert the manual pitch trim to electric.

I recall that there used to be a conversion kit that used the same trib tab and elevator, placing the servo on the deck under the empennage fairing. I have been googling but can't find it. Barnard, maybe?

She let me fly the airplane for a while yesterday, and I see what people mean about the light, simple airplanes. It was a pleasure to fly, lighter and with the empty CG more aft than my RV-8, but I did miss my CS prop for formation and landing :)
James Freeman

Gretz Aero is/was the supplier of the kit you're talking about.

You should be able to find a listing for them in the RV-list yeller pages.

Ahh, thanks.

His website no longer lists the pitch trim, but I'll call him tomorrow (or give his number to my friend). I'd bet he either has a few lying around or could make up another kit.

I guess that most -6 builders who want the conversion would have already done it by now, so there's not much of a market anymore.

James Freeman

That plus

That plus the fact that the manual pitch trim is is almost biologically smooth and sweet to use.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
I answered my own question with a little research. It looks like my plane is an older non-prepunched kit and the Vans conversion requires you to un-skin the elevator to do it properly.
I called Gretz and he had two kits left and I got one of them so if someone needs one ya better hurry.

BUZ

Whew! I called Gretz this morning and he's shipping one to me. He mentioned that he's had a sudden interest in these kits after only selling six or so last year. If enough folks want one, he may restock them. It's probably worth calling him to see.

Last edited:
FWIW
Just got off the phone with Gretz Aero and he said he doesn't advertize but he can still sullpy them soooo I ordered one for mine $70 not bad.
I should have asked him how it works ,but he was in the car and didn't want to talk any longer than he had to (I don't blame him)
Did anyone get their's yet ?? --- When you let us know how it works.
Thanks

Back