What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airports to visit in NY and VT - suggestions needed

Dvalcik

Well Known Member
Sponsor
A few us are planning a 5 day flight around the Northeast with 2 RV 12's and it could be up to 5 total RVs, with 1 more 12 and 9 and or 8. I'm hoping to leave ME to meet up Sat June 11th with the others. We are looking for interesting airports with RVs. The plan is to leave Phlily area head northwest to NY state. Then zig zag around 4 days heading north then east to VT. Hitting 4-6 airports each day, stayingovernight then back at it again :) We would like to stop at 15 - 20 airports during the journey. I will then head back to ME and the others back to PA

Looking for suggestions.

Vlad chime in or even join us!

A few us are planning a 5 day flight around the Northeast with 2 RV 12's and it could be up to 5 total RVs, with 1 more 12 and 9 and or 8. I'm hoping to leave ME to meet up Sat June 11th with the others. We are looking for interesting airports with RVs. The plan is to leave Phlily area head northwest to NY state. Then zig zag around 4 days heading north then east to VT. Hitting 4-6 airports each day, stayingovernight then back at it again :) We would like to stop at 15 - 20 airports during the journey. I will then head back to ME and the others back to PA

Looking for suggestions.

Vlad chime in or even join us!

Great idea David! I am expecting a guest from faraway on that weekend so unable to join.

Lake Placid KLKP is a must to visit for your traveling squad. There are couple RVators based there there are nice places to stay overnight there are tons of fun spots in town. There is a swimming hole and campgrounds right at the airport.

Two private airfields are RV friendly if you call them. Old Forge NK26 has a great grass runway and a water park not far from it. Mountain Top NY02 is actually a part of a race track the owner is a very nice guy. Visit two former bomber bases with the longest runways - Rome and Plattsburgh see how many touch and go your 12 could do in one shot. I managed 7 and still had couple thousand feet left.

Fulton Co NY0 has a bakery/cafe on the field. Basin Harbor VT B06 will be blooming by then. There is a resort attached to a well tendered strip. A beach. A restaurant on the field all waitresses are from different foreign countries they come for the season.

On your way up stop at Piper Memorial KLHV it would be still early for their Sentimental Journey but the museum on the field will be open. Plus sportpilottalk Chief resides there.

Last edited:
NY state flying journey

Thanks Vlad, looks like we may be flight of 4 so far, I will start mapping your suggestions. I hope we get some more ideas from the NY RVrs in the area.

Hi Dave. Eagles Mere Air Museum 40pn. Private field Neat collection of 8cylinder powered antique aircraft. U Would need to contact them.

KMGJ food
44N food
KGBR old school airport, ridge flying 8 SSW, google bish bash falls and get some coordinates. if you can find it you are a great navigator.:D
KGFL food
KRUT food
2B3 covered bridge west end grass runway, free bikes to get to town,FOOD AGAIN.
KAFN ICE CREAM!!!!:roll eyes: mount monadnock 5 NW granite peak most hiked
peak in the world( not really) but close. always hikers there.
1P1 the most beautiful grass runway in a VT valley.
0B7 glider port with great mountains nearby

untitled%2026%20of%2027-XL.jpg

Airport Restaurants

Restaurant at GFL appears to have moved into town. Grandma Millies mentioned by Vlad appears to be closed. Both based on website and online info.
On the plus side restaurants at Bradford PA. Jamestown NY, Great Valley NY all seem to be popular places.
google upstate list for restaurants and fly in breakfasts in NY State.

Stop in a KASH. use the crew car to drive over to SkyVenture and do some indoor surfing or skydiving.

Good restaurant there too.

Thanks for the suggestions, hoping for good weather and planning to start the trek for 20+ pins in the map for NY and VT. It still looks like 3- 5 planes on the journey :)

Last edited:
Back