What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Add step to RV-7

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
As I get older the step up to the wing on my -7 is getting more difficult due to beat up knees. How difficult is it to add the step kit post construction? I do not have removable baggage compartment floors.
Figs

Putting the steps in isn’t particularly hard Figs. But you’ll need to get access to the ribs under the baggage floor though. That sounds like the hardest part for you. I’ll see if I can figure out how to attach a drawing of the assembly.
Here ya' go:
I agree. It will involve drilling out the pop rivets holding down the baggage floors, and removing those two floor pieces and the tunnel cover. Not difficult if you have ever drilled out those type of rivets: Just don't booger-up the holes. The rest is somewhat straight forward.
Good luck, Figs. The steps make all the difference.

Figs,
You can also remove a few rivets and make a hinge door and do it that way.
You have to get to 625 & 626 ribs.

Mine were removable so I did it that way with platenuts.

Boomer

I added a step to the passenger side of my flying 7 a few years ago. Not too difficult...just follow the Vans instructions. Be sure to punch out the center pin of the pop rivets first before drilling out the rivet. Put the tail up on a sawhorse to make the plane level and easier to work on. As I recall it only took about 15 minutes to remove the one side of the floor. I also shortened the step 3" to get it about centred between the ground and the wing which worked out ok.

Thanks for the inputs, looks like the step kits are on back order at Vans right now.
Figs

Figs, Years ago (different reason for access) I punched out the center pin of the pull rivets and drilled out the rest per "RV7 to go's" method and it was easier than I thought it would be. The rivets are fairly soft so if your bit alignment is good you shouldn't have trouble. While you await the back ordered step to come in consider using a folding step stool and a cord per Mike Starkey's post here:

Also, look at post #5 in that thread. You could call Russ and see if he can get a step to you sooner.

I wish I could give you mine! They were on the 7A project I converted to 7 and left them. I've been wishing Id taken them off mostly because of aft CG issues and I never use them because of reading so much about them cracking!

I installed full length steps on my RV7 a few years back. Took me about a week of evenings. I put nut plates in, in place of using pop rivets to re-install the floor halves.

Vans must be doing better, steps were on back order when I ordered last week and they have already shipped, also found out that I did not fill the pilot holes in the fuselage canoe when I built my -7 so I know exactly where the steps go:cool:

Back