What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3 blade harzell metal prop fit

alprout

I'm New Here
Hey all,

Any tips on installing a lower cowl with 3 blade hartzel prop . Its a very tight fit to remove from the aircraft. Possibly , cutting a section of the cowl away around the leg and refitting with anchor nuts once the cowl is on might be a solution, any suggestions

Hey all,

Any tips on installing a lower cowl with 3 blade hartzel prop . Its a very tight fit to remove from the aircraft. Possibly , cutting a section of the cowl away around the leg and refitting with anchor nuts once the cowl is on might be a solution, any suggestions

Some say it can be done, but after nicking the 3 blade MT a few times, I decided to split the lower cowl. Makes maint so much easier. No regrets.

You could extend the bottom slot, but this changes the exit area and you may have to make up a flush cover plate to cover.

Last edited:
Extended slot

My friends rv-10 with 3 bladed prop has an extended slot and cover plate. The plate can then close the hole much closer to the nose gear and improve lower cowling pressures as a bonus.

Regards Peter

My friends rv-10 with 3 bladed prop has an extended slot and cover plate. The plate can then close the hole much closer to the nose gear and improve lower cowling pressures as a bonus.

Regards Peter

Like this? You can also see the split line for the lower cowl.

Attachments

• IMG_4705.jpg
    IMG_4705.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4706.jpg
    IMG_4706.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Extend the slot as needed

Here is how I modified the fairing that covers the slot. Can be as long as u need. Add some Fibreglass layers and then trim to desired size. Fairly EZ.

Attachments

• IMG_5715.jpg
    IMG_5715.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5714.jpg
    IMG_5714.jpg
    612 KB · Views: 16
Back