We have an RV12is high school build going on here.

At what point should the wire harness be installed? We are very close to attaching the aft fuselage section to the forward section. Electric trim motor is installed along with flight control sticks and cables in the forward fuselage.

If you're ready to attach the empennage, then I'd do that and get the rudder control cables installed before the wire harness. It'll make access to the forward rudder cable attach points much easier. I did the wiring harness first, then had to remove the tunnel cover and move all the wires out of the way to get in there to do the cable attach.

We already have the forward rudder cables attached. Would you suggest installing the wire harness now?

Thank you for your response

How did you install the forward rudder cables without the empennage and rudder mounted? You need to adjust the link length with those in place.

The cables ends for the rudder are loosely stored in aft portion of the forward fuselage. When we connect both fuselage sections together we will connect the aft end of the rudder cables to the rudder and finish that portion of section 38.

Which requires measuring and adjusting the control links, which connect to the rudder pedal weldment, which is under the avionics shelf behind where all the wiring goes. So my original comment stands.

Oh, depending on which avionics you have, either the ADAHRS or the magnetometer is mounted to the top of the empennage just aft of the connection point. Make sure you have that mount in place before you connect it. It's easier when they're apart.

I can’t tell if you have the canopy finished. We left the empennage off until the canopy was finished and attached it last. On our second 12iS, we are going to cleco it on and build the canopy; attaching the empennage takes a little finagling … it will eventually line up perfectly. If it doesn’t, take a break and it will line up easily. The wiring harnes was pretty quick to go in. Make sure the trim wires and coax cable for the antenna are in the tail if an IFR plane is desired before attaching. Also run the string in the tail cone to pull the control cables. And support the tail when crawling in the baggage area to keep the tail from hitting the ground. We had the plane mostly built before ordering the avionics. Hope that helps! 😃

Thanks for your response. We have started on the canopy section but have not completed that. Last weekend we installed the aft fuselage section and it did require a little finagling. I think we are going to start installation of the wire harness. I just don’t want to get to far along before routing that.