ben barron

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm planning a trip to Big Creek ID (U60, 5,743'elev., 3,550' grass runway) May 25. My RV14A has IO390 Thunderbolt with a Catto fixed pitch 3 blade prop. Any one with similar plane have experience to share?

I've flown into Big Creek several times in my -6. The last time was years ago so I can't comment on its current condition, but I'm pretty sure they keep it in good shape. If so then it's a reasonable strip for an RV a long as you have some backcountry knowhow. Nice and wide and reasonably long, in a spectacular setting. Typical backcountry conditions - mountains all around etc. and pay attention to DA.

I'm planning a trip to Big Creek ID (U60, 5,743'elev., 3,550' grass runway) May 25. My RV14A has IO390 Thunderbolt with a Catto fixed pitch 3 blade prop. Any one with similar plane have experience to share?
Big Creek is pretty straight forward for Idaho, been there a bit in my -14. The one caution I would add for Idaho is the runways are normally good, but consider shutting down your engine at the edge of the runway and pushing into the parking area. At the very least, walk the parking area before moving your airplane. There are many mount building varmints and gophers. This applies to all the backcountry.