DRBuilder

Well Known Member
Just curious...... How many of you that have already placed your order for the 14 wing kit are planning to build a 14A vs a 14?
I am also wondering if the landing gear on the 14 are going to be rectangular like the 14A or will they be round like the 7's main gear legs? I loved flying my 7 but am seriously considering an A model this time. If the main gear legs on the 14 are rectangular and will not tend to have the wheel shimmy at low speeds, I will probably stay with the 14. Decisions, decisions........ :rolleyes:

Wng kit # 140012 on its way soon!

I believe 14 squared will be a nose wheel aircraft. I have a little time in tail wheel aircraft but the ease of take off and landing for me outweigh the added weight and drag of a nose wheel. With that being said my wife who likes to fly with me likes nose wheel airplanes so is there any other choice?;)

Just curious...... How many of you that have already placed your order for the 14 wing kit are planning to build a 14A vs a 14?
I am also wondering if the landing gear on the 14 are going to be rectangular like the 14A or will they be round like the 7's main gear legs? I loved flying my 7 but am seriously considering an A model this time. If the main gear legs on the 14 are rectangular and will not tend to have the wheel shimmy at low speeds, I will probably stay with the 14. Decisions, decisions........ :rolleyes:

Wng kit # 140012 on its way soon!

The RV-14 will have a round rod main gear attached using sockets in the motor mount, very much like the RV-7

For me the choice was easy. I wanted to fly cool airplanes and cool airplanes have tailwheels. For example, one year I did my biannual in a stearman and another in a DHC-1 Chipmunk.

Last edited:
That's why the RV-14 will be available as a tri-gear or a tail dragger.....

For the people that just like to fly really fun airplanes...

And for the people (personality's) that have a personal need to constantly emphasize something more :D

BTW, I have quite a bit of time in both, so I know exactly how much fun they can (and can't) be. ;)
I get just as much enjoyment out of flying either one.....

"A" vs tail wheel

Built my RV9 as an "A" model. Flew it for 200 hrs and converted it to a tail wheel. Very happy with the airplane as a taildragger. Sold it after another 300 hours. (500hrs tt) I have to admit that it was slightly more difficult to sell as a tail wheel. That may have been because people expect to see 9's with nose gear. I don't know. I now have an 8, and of course its a tail wheel. I live on a grass runway and that was a contributing factor to my decision to convert the 9.
It's really a personal choice. Good luck!

Did I Start A Debate?

When I started this thread, I was interested to know how many of the EXISTING RV14 Kit buyers were planning on an A model vs the tail dragger model. I didn't mean to revisit the age old tail dragger vs the training wheel debate. :rolleyes:
I am a tail dragger pilot myself but didn't like the wheel shimmy that a lot of the 7's had, including mine. That's another reason I inquired about the main gear legs on the 14. I am also blessed with a son that has a serious interest in learning to fly and I wasn't ready to turn him loose in my 7. That's another reason I sold it, to build a 14 with a "training wheel" on the front so I can teach my son how to fly, and more importantly, land. :D
And for the record, the reason I chose a 7 for my 1st build was because it looked so COOL! :cool:

When I started this thread, I was interested to know how many of the EXISTING RV14 Kit buyers were planning on an A model vs the tail dragger model. I didn't mean to revisit the age old tail dragger vs the training wheel debate. :rolleyes:
I am a tail dragger pilot myself but didn't like the wheel shimmy that a lot of the 7's had, including mine. That's another reason I inquired about the main gear legs on the 14. I am also blessed with a son that has a serious interest in learning to fly and I wasn't ready to turn him loose in my 7. That's another reason I sold it, to build a 14 with a "training wheel" on the front so I can teach my son how to fly, and more importantly, land. :D
And for the record, the reason I chose a 7 for my 1st build was because it looked so COOL! :cool:

It appears the score is::rolleyes: 14A-2, 14-0

A slight correction

to RVbuilder's post. From Van's website "The main landing gear is extremely simple, consisting of tapered steel leaf springs with a wheel on one end and the airplane on the other. There are no oleos, bungee cords or shock absorbers. The nosewheel rides on a robust steel strut." Killing my stiffener business, LOL.

It's an -A for me. It's going to be a trainer and shared family aircraft for me and my 3 ladies. Ordered the wings 11/6/2012.

Last edited:
I know real men fly tail draggers... but I personally like the low stress landing of the Nose Gear, if I was building a 14 it would definately be a nose dragger:D

Most of my time is in tail draggers, but my wife may get her ticket in the 14, so it will be a nose dragger. Tail draggers are much more fun but the nose dragger has better taxiing visibility.