VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE:
---------------------------------------
(dr) Added the Builder Assistance folks from the old site to 'The VAF List'. Under 'Links' in menu. 'The VAF List' is a combination of several pages from the old site (DARs, Transition Trainers, Builder Assist, etc).

From the weekend 'what did you do' thread....RV8JD
Seen today. A ballistic missile sub accompanied by its entourage heading back to the Bangor sub base (upper right corner) on the Hood Canal.
VAFDR_ 164 Jan. 30.jpg

A message for RV builders from Dynon's Robert Hamilton
The world of experimental aircraft builders is a small one. I’ve met many of you at Oshkosh and other shows over the years, and I know the commitment it takes to build and maintain your own airplane. When some of us have misfortune, it is felt by all of us. We’re in this together.
The difficulties that Vans has experienced over the last six months is known to us. We have seen the effects through decreased sales to RV builders, and know the pain firsthand from our own employees who are in the process of building RVs.
My message today is simple: We want to help.
Therefore, we are offering a special discount to those builders who are directly affected by the change in pricing on aircraft kits they had previously put deposits on.
If you are one of these customers and purchase certain Dynon and Advanced Flight Systems products between January 30, 2024 and the end of Sun ‘n Fun (April 15, 2024), we will rebate you 5% to help out. Because we know that some kit lead times may be longer than usual, we will also warrant these products for an additional year (4 years, instead of the usual 3).
We will need documentation from you showing proof that you are an affected customer.
I am sure there are ways to game this, but we are asking you not to do so, and work with us to fairly share the cost with those who are directly affected.
We are experimental builders and owners here at Dynon, and our goal has always been to help make it affordable for anyone and everyone who wants to fly. That is our mission, and has been for 24 years.
For full details about this program, please visit this page.
Robert Hamilton
President, Dynon

High fuel flow when RPM increases above 2000 ...Carl Froehlich reply
Is it mounted following guidance? Such as:
- Mounted after the mechanical fuel pump
- No 90 degree fittings on the sender?
- The sender not mounted to the engine?
- The sender mounted so fuel flow is at least slightly up hill?
The attached photo is an example of how to meet all the above.
VAFDR_ 163 Jan. 30.jpg

I'm back - catching up on 4 years away...videobobk
No vacation here. Had a fairly serious stroke in 2019, right before COVID. Barely escaped the lockdown and made it home. Took over a year to get my head on straight. Decided i couldn't teach kids to build RV's, so began teaching adults to teach kids. MUCH harder! Am on the National Aviation Sourcing Forum trying to reduce the pilot shortage, and generally having fun. Looks like AviationNation is going to survive after all.
Really good to be back. Had to sell the 9A, but still deeply involved.
videobobk, Bob Kelly

7A Status ...nofoflyer
Back ordered parts are in and I’m ready for the canopy phase. The supertracks mod is being shipped as we speak.
VAFDR_ 164 Jan. 30 (01).jpg

Control Stick Cutter ...mburch method
"...a pipe cutter can be used in situ... file away the burr and you're good to go."
VAFDR_ 160 Jan. 30.jpg

My Paint Booth Hangers ...HFS
When I built my shop (1991), I knew that sooner or later (or in between) , I would be using it as a paint booth. So I did a few things to facilitate that: All tools are are on rolling stands - so they can be moved out when needed, filtered paint booth ventilation, perimeter curtains that protect all equipment along the walls; and, (the point of this post) is the ceiling hanging system for smaller parts.
On 8' centers, on the ceiling, there are wooden batts (~ 3 x 1 x 10'6"), with 2" dia. steel rings mounted on 12" centers - 4 "batts" x 10 rings each = 40 "hanging" points.
For "hangers" I use 3/4" dowel stock 5' long with screw eyes, opened enough (cut off) to allow engagement with the rings above, and cross bars (if needed).
This "modular" system has come in handy time and time again over the years. The attachments today were to hang some pieces outside, but needed the heat of the shop for cure.
Is there some "front end" thinking & work for this system - of course there is; but, it is a convenient way to suspends all kinds of things from the ceiling when needed.
VAFDR_ 162 Jan. 30.jpg

OFF TOPIC:
VAFDR_ 165 Jan. 30.jpg

Last edited: