rdt7

Patron
Working on riveting the tail cone back where the tail wheel support is. See picture. We've been able to buck the ones on the flat surface but can't get a bucking bar on the curved surface. Any ideas? Can pulled rivets be used in these hard-to-reach places?

IMG_9442.JPG

We used the small square tungsten bucking bar for these, if I remember correctly. careful not to dig the corners into the skin.

They make curved bucking bars of different sizes and configurations. I didn't use mine a lot on my 7, but they sure were handy when nothing else would work.

Those are tricky as are the rearmost bulkhead. My inspector didn't like a couple of my bucked rivets so I drilled them out and replaced them with a couple CR3214-4-02 or CR3214-4-03 Cherrymax rivets. These are NAS1097 rivets for #30 holes, but with #40 dimples. I feel much better about these than the questionable bucked rivets. Bought them in 10 packs through Genuine Hardware (most expensive rivets I ever bought, but that's another story).

Yes! That is my favorite little bucking bar. Tiny, but dense. In a bind you could walk down a dark alley with this puppy and feel good with her in your hand.
Thanks for the replies. We finally got these with the tungsten bucking bar but I am going to buy a curved bar if I can find one.

You could also try using the back side of a squeezer yoke. That is what worked for us. Here is a link to the video that I made where I mentioned it (at 06:20) :

You could also try using the back side of a squeezer yoke. That is what worked for us. Here is a link to the video that I made where I mentioned it (at 06:20) :
Austin, this is one of the best building videos I've seen. Lot's of useful information. Using the squeezer yoke is a brilliant idea!