YellowJacket RV9

Well Known Member
Patron
I noticed on last CI that my lower cowl pins appear to make contact with the engine mount (-A model) in flight, due to vibration I assume, and have started to wear into the powder coat. Has anybody else noticed this or come up with a fix? Have thought about securing something like fire sleeve to the engine mount, or something else to protect it.

Chris

Originally I didn't like how those pins were setup (hard to install), so I put a notch in my bottom cowl corners so I could insert them from the outside.
Then the hinges started breaking, so I changed to quarter turn fasteners down there. Much better in my opinion.
I'm not a fan of quarter turns everywhere, but on the cowl aft bottom I like them.

Originally I didn't like how those pins were setup (hard to install), so I put a notch in my bottom cowl corners so I could insert them from the outside.
Then the hinges started breaking, so I changed to quarter turn fasteners down there. Much better in my opinion.
I'm not a fan of quarter turns everywhere, but on the cowl aft bottom I like them.
That's certainly on my radar as a possibility, but the pins don't bother me too much so long as I can prevent undue wear and tear. Thanks,

Chris

The handle / 90 degree bend to insert and remove the two vertical cowl pins on my airplane rotate and touch the engine mount. When I first observed this, more than 20-years ago, I placed an adel clamp on the engine mount so that the cowl hinge pin handle would be touching the rubber part of the adel clamp instead of the engine mount.

The handle / 90 degree bend to insert and remove the two vertical cowl pins on my airplane rotate and touch the engine mount. When I first observed this, more than 20-years ago, I placed an adel clamp on the engine mount so that the cowl hinge pin handle would be touching the rubber part of the adel clamp instead of the engine mount.
That's exactly what I am considering doing. Thanks!

Chris