wirejock

Well Known Member
If you buy prefab parts with that yellow gel coat, do yourself a favor and sand it off. Thankfully Vans gray gel coat hasn't failed me yet. It seems to be more flexible although I'm not a fan of it either.
I had all my pants, fairings, etc all primed and wet sanded. As I was wiping them down for the final primer coat, two parts had cracks where the gel coat cracked. One had a piece I had to remove. It popped right off. So frustrating. I had to sand the area down and apply glass and cure then go through the prep process just for two spots about 2x2 inches each.
I would prefer a cheaper part with no gel coat. It's easier to locate and drill holes. I know it's done to help builders get a nice finish and probably protects exposed parts from UV and weather, but I wish vendors would offer a non gel coated part at a discount.

Crappy workmanship

I agree, but that'll never happen. Gelcoat hides crappy workmanship, like voids in the layup.

L

Easier to repair than fixing a cracked paint job. :D
I have found all sorts of stuff and fixed them, but nothing makes me more furious than a beautiful paint job with a crack or a chunk of gel coat popped off!

Agree!

You oughta see some of the thick, cracky gelcoat on older Piper cowls. That’s where I learned to dislike crackcoat, I mean gelcoat.