ljsflash

My uAvionix Echo SkyFYX sometimes displays my own aircraft as traffic a mile or two away. I have received Traffic Alerts on ForeFlight when I’m the only one in the area.
I have a Garmin GTX 327 with the EchoUAT.
Has anyone else had this happen?

LJ

55CFD473-DDB1-447D-94A9-B1CB0EF48EF3.jpeg
Disregard the red circle. My N number (N109RD) is represented here as another plane a couple miles in front of present position.

Last edited:
My uAvionix Echo SkyFYX sometimes displays my own aircraft as traffic a mile or two away. I have received Traffic Alerts on ForeFlight when I’m the only one in the area.
I have a Garmin GTX 375 with the EchoUAT.
Has anyone else had this happen?

LJ

View attachment 22741
Disregard the red circle. My N number (N109RD) is represented here as another plane a couple miles in front of present position.
LJ,

Never heard of a GTX 375. Do you have a Garmin GNX 375?

A GNX 375 provides ADS-B In/Out including connection to Foreflight for display of traffic/weather, so I don't understand the reason for having any uAvionix stuff in your plane.

Steve

LJ,

Never heard of a GTX 375. Do you have a Garmin GNX 375?

A GNX 375 provides ADS-B In/Out including connection to Foreflight for display of traffic/weather, so I don't understand the reason for having any uAvionix stuff in your plane.

Steve

Sorry! GTX 327 is what I have now in the DR-109 and in the RV-8. I had the GNX 375 in the Super Decathlon and never had this issue.

Try updating the ownship (your N#) information in whatever display you are using. Your uAvionix Echo UAT is transmitting an ADS-B OUT signal that is being heard, and (sometimes) repeated by FAA ADS-B Ground stations (called TIS-B). The FAA repeats your ADS-B data as TIS-B to increase the range at which you are detected. This also helps others see you on their ADS-B IN monitors if there is an obstruction (like a mountain) that is keeping you from receiving each other's direct transmissions. By the time your Echo transmits the position, and it gets repeated back as a TIS-B message and received by your EchoUAT, there is a delay (which is why it shows a ghost of you behind yourself).

Properly enabling the ownship filter in your display will filter out your own N#.