Ham

My flap handle broke off on short final yesterday. No problem landing, but it needs to be fixed. Any one have experience with this? Can a good welder fix it? Do I need to find-make a new WD-406C horn?

Yes a god welder should be able to fix it.

I do have a couple of those. Old. Would have to be sandblasted and primed/painted. I suspect it'll be easier to have yours welded as it's fitted to your RV-4.

Finn

Thanks Finn. I was able to get my engineer to weld it back together yesterday. Now primed and painted and ready for installation.

RV-4 flap handle break....?

My flap handle broke off on short final yesterday. No problem landing, but it needs to be fixed. Any one have experience with this? Can a good welder fix it? Do I need to find-make a new WD-406C horn?

Huh. I haven't heard of that happening before. Where did it break? Curious minds want to know.....:confused:

I seem to remember an article in The RVator a long time ago where someone had a flap handle break off and it was because it was rusted inside. Each year at condition inspection I look for any signs of rust on mine. I mention it here in case it helps anyone else.

Regards,

RV4 serial #68

The horn to which the flap handle is bolted broke off from the tube that rotates to operate the flap control rods. Cracked and work-hardened it appeared. My engineer cleaned it up, welded it back together and I primed, painted and reinstalled it. Works fine now. If I could figure out how to attach pics, I would. :(