Manchu16

Installing a 30P in my RV. Upgrading from steam gauges and a UBG-16. I am not doing the upgrade route, but instead a new install. I have marked up 11 of the 13 inputs per device.

Is there anything that you wish you had or something that you wish you didn't? O-320 with Carb and Fix Pitch to help with my ask.

1 RPM
2 EGTx4
3 CHTx4
4 MP
5 Fuel Flow
6 Fuel Press
7 Oil Press
8 Oil Temp
9 Volts
10 Amps
11 OAT
12 ?
13 ?

My thoughts...
* L&R Fuel Gauge. Was planning on keeping the old Vans gauges. Not the most accurate and in my 9 the gauges don't start to move until I am below 13 or 14 gallons.
* Est Total Fuel - I already have that info on the fuel pages
* G Meter - its a 9 and I have it on my AV-30s
* Horsepower - would be nice to know, but more of a novelty I think. Not sure how that would change the way I fly.
* Carb Temp - Never flew behind an accurate one, not sure how much they help. Maybe tell me if carb heat isn't working.
* Flight times, Hobbs, Tach, - They are all available via the times pager, well except flight time, but I have that on multiple instruments.

Also if anyone has and Red Cube mounting pointers would love to hear them. I need to do some searching later tonight.

Thanks!

The carb temp on the CGR in my 172 saved me in IMC once when it became apparent that the carb heat linkage had become disconnected and thus the temp did not change when pulled.

Van's fuel gauges are low quality, put your FQ on the CGR.
@Walt are you a fan of total quantity tracking or actually tracking quantity by tank and telling the 30P which tank you are drawing from? Was looking at doing an upgrade as well.

@Walt are you a fan of total quantity tracking or actually tracking quantity by tank and telling the 30P which tank you are drawing from? Was looking at doing an upgrade as well.
I don't think you can tell any system, including the 30P, which tank it's drawing fuel from, that's why fuel gauges are still important.
Both quantity and fuel flow are must have parameters to know what's going on.
The 30P like other systems bases total quantity on fuel flow.
Unless you have capacative senders, floats can't track that top 5 gal or so in an RV.

I don't think you can tell any system, including the 30P, which tank it's drawing fuel from, that's why fuel gauges are still important.
I am just going off the manual and have no real work experience with it, but here is a scrape from the manual.
Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 7.51.22 PM.png

I’ve never tried that, not something that would normally be used. Total fuel onboard combined with FF is the norm.
Besides it would be a real hassle to manage. Total fuel is what gives you all the useful data on the ‘total fuel’ page.
I think that feature may be useful if you had tanks with no fuel level available or multiple tanks that don’t have level sensors.

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd ditch the MP on the EI and add Left and Right Fuel and carb temp. I added one of these on my pitts and selected % engine power and immediately regretted it. I eventually changed it to a flight timer.

EI has a deal CGR-30P and C if you have another hole: you can get all your engine monitors in one quick scan. And yellow and red lights that come one when anything goes out for normal range. We just put a pair in our Cheetah and love it.